Telugu in Hyderabadi Hindi

• shaloo

English
    Mmmmmmmm.....let me think a bit (its coz though i live in hyderabad, my daily usage of hyderabadi hindi is less as i live in a more telugu speaking region. There are places like the Charminar and the old city areas where people use more urdu and hindi )

for example: matti means mud in telugu and we use it in hindi too

shaloo

English
    the punjabi version is the ulta form of hindi? nice. (one more punjabi word in my bag.)

But one thing is for sure.
    mixing up the lingo of more than 2 more languages is a fad here and as most of the people are comfortable with telugu and hindi, we tend to use words in the alternative language whenever we dont get the exact matching word in one particular language.

It may sound funny but have u ever heard of a word called "chimping" in any of the languages u know?
    It is the most favorite word of all the teenagers here,which goes well with all ocassions.

shaloo

English
    Well, this word is used to rag or tease friends in a very desi way....

Like, say, ur friends know that u hav't prepared well for an exam and that u've fared badly in it.But still as u come out of the hall, the whole group shouts saying Chimping....

In telugu chimpadam(verb infinitive) = tearing, which, here is used in a context when someone has done a very great job and needs applause from everyone.

So, they've coined this new word by adding the english gerund form to the telugu word!!

This word is almost like a bandy in every college-goer's mouth.
    We say it for everything......if someone's dress is cool or hot or whatever.....

Guess that was a pretty long explantion for a word.;)

< Previous | Next >