temerity [= audacity?]

eclypse

UK
english
Hello,

I have been given this extract of an article by Jill Tweedy, published in the Guardian back in 1976 (!), to translate into French. However, before I can do so, I have to be sure that I understand the text fully.

"To compensate men for my temerity in looking down on them, the aim in my early life was to persuade them that in spite of my inches, i was so obviously useless and fragile (...)"

How do you understand "temerity", is it perhaps the sense of audacity?

Thank you in advance.

• AWordLover

USA English
    I think that author is joking about the possibility that men may take offence at her being taller than they are. She compensated by getting the men to feel superior to her in some regard other than height.

This is not audacity as in boldness or a reckless disregard for risk, this temerity is effrontery.

mgarizona

US - American English
    I think that author is joking about the possibility that men may take offence at her being taller than they are. She compensated by getting the men to feel superior to her in some regard other than height.

This is not audacity as in boldness or a reckless disregard for risk, this temerity is effrontery.
    Quite right, think "cheek"!

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia

I think that is splitting too fine a hair.
    There is definitely a hint of boldness and risk in the statement.

eclypse

UK
    english

I completely agree ... Thank you all for your contributions.

< Previous | Next >