-temo iru

< Previous | Next >

Eso

USA / Native Languages: English, Cantonese
I couldn't think of a meaningful topic name so I hope this is good enough. I need help translating this sentence:

ワガママなとこもかわいいって思えるから付き合ってもいるんですよ。

I know every single word in that sentence but I just don't get what it means when it is strung together like that.

Thanks!

• cheshire

Japanese
    ワガママなとこもかわいいって思えるから付き合っているんですよ。
    この文の前には「付き合う」という行為の他に対照させる他の行為が示されているはずです。
    たとえば、「乗馬を教える」「狩に付き添う」「料理会に一緒に参加する」などです。

Eso

USA / Native Languages: English, Cantonese
    I'm sorry, I don't really understand the explanation. I have trouble with putting clauses together and making sense of them.

From what I can gather, are you saying that before this sentence was said, the person wanting to date is being compared to ........ someone?

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I will first explain with sentence without も, which is a bit strange if this is a stand-alone sentence:
    ワガママなとこもかわいいって思えるから付き合っているんですよ

ワガママなとこもかわいいって思えるから (reason)
    Because I can find even her naughtiness cute,

ワガママなとこ is the colloquial contraction of わがままなところ, naughtiness, selfishness, waywardness and so on.

って is と in a more formal register.

付き合っているんですよ (conclusion)
    so I am dating with her.

The speaker is not just wanting to date but is actually dating with "Miss Selfishness."

In this sentence, -mo can be omitted without changing the basic premises of the sentence. It just adds nuances. At least two possibilities are evident to me.

1. Avoiding assertiveness
    By adding -mo, the sentence comes to imply that dating is just one of the many things that the speaker does with "Miss Selfishness," thus diffusing the focus from the fact that he is dating with her. Avoiding assertiveness or a low-key statement is a characteristic of polite or distant speech. It is safe to say the speaker is implying that he is bashful about telling the feeling for her.

2. Intrusion from reverse connection
    Japanese can use -mo more naturally with a consequent statement with "reverse connection" (逆接 gyakusetsu).

わがままな性格だが、かわいいところある
    She is a demanding character but also cute.
    In a more natural English sentence this means, "She is demanding but not without cuteness." Cuteness is rarely expected in a demanding character but the speaker finds cuteness despite the expectation here. Reverse connection is a sentence consisting of the antecedent and a consequent that is unexpected from the former.

Now, I am wondering if the -mo in your question sentence was inserted, influenced by a sentence with a reverse connection such as;
    わがままだとわかっているが、つきあってもいる

This is not a very grammatical construction but not unheard of in casual speeches.

< Previous | Next >