temporal inconsistency?

takashi0930

Japanese
You put data into a database. The data include the date of birth and the date of death. If the date of death is before the date of birth, what do you call it? Would "temporal inconsistency" work? Can I say "There is temporal inconsistency"?

• Juhasz

English - United States
    In some context, yes, you could call that a temporal inconsistency, but it's somewhat obscure, or at least complex, English. Is this an error message that's going to be shown to users? If so, who are the users? Your average Joe would probably prefer to see something a little simpler.

takashi0930

Japanese
    Thank you. It's not an error message. It's from a manual for inputting the data into the database. The users are physicians.
    I want to say something like "If there is temporal inconsistency, an alert will appear."

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Date inconsistency is better, or date order error. Temporal inconsistency sounds like a science fiction violation of causality.

Juhasz

English - United States
    In that case, the language may be appropriate, but it also might be too vague. If you're simply discussing entering dates, a temporal inconsistency (or as entangledbank says, "data inconsistency") might mean inputting invalid dates (February 30th, 02/13/16 or 13/02/16 depending on your date format, etc.). Since this isn't an error message, there's no real need to be terse. If I were writing documentation, I'd just say, "If the date of birth is later than the date of death, an alert will appear."

Packard

USA, English
    I would call it "out of sequence".

In sequence: You are born, you grow up, you marry, you have children, you have grandchildren, you die.

Out of sequence: You marry, you have children, you are born, you die, you have grandchildren, you grow up.

< Previous | Next >