temporary sway to

< Previous | Next >

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
The following text describes the land artwork Spiral Jetty by Robert Smithson. Does the bold section mean:
She says that Spiral Jetty ‘performs a symbolic ritual which allows a temporary control over the death drive’, oscillating between the ecstatic moments of the site where perception can not be detached from the site, and the images exhibited in the gallery which characterize the more stable moments than the moments which are experienced at the site?

Text:
My purpose here is rather to note how their experiments with form destabilise space in such a way that it empties itself, turning the inside out or outside in, creating a duality that is impossible to inhabit in three-dimensional space but that echoes the entropic motion of the death drive, which, in seeking disintegration, inevitably spews out new forms. Iversen echoes this when she says that Spiral Jetty ‘enacts a symbolic ritual allowing temporary sway to the death drive’, oscillating between the ecstatic moments of the site where perception is dedifferentiated with the rubble of the nonsite exhibited in the gallery characterising the more stable moments of this ebb and flow. (The nonsite refers to the photographs and gridded formations of rocks Smithson exhibited in the gallery.) (Art and Psychoanalysis by Maria Walsh)

• pachanga7

English - US
    That was what I first wondered too, but after reading more of the context I think it’s in reference to the oscillation/movement between those two things.

Sway as control or influence would use the preposition “over”.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    That was what I first wondered too, but after reading more of the context I think it’s in reference to the oscillation/movement between those two things.

Sway as control or influence would use the preposition “over”.
    Hi. My main problem is the word "between". "Between" which two things? Is it "between" 1. the ecstatic moments of the site, and 2. the rubble of the nonsite exhibited in the gallery?

pachanga7

English - US
    Hi. My main problem is the word "between". "Between" which two things? Is it "between" 1. the ecstatic moments of the site, and 2. the rubble of the nonsite exhibited in the gallery?
    It’s not 100% clear from the way the sentence is structured, but I think there should be a comma after “dedifferentiated” so that the rubble of the nonsites is separate from the first idea, although then it says the nonsites represent the more stable parts of the movement.

So the oscillation would be between the various ecstatic moments, and the nonsites would represent the midpoint of the swing, I guess.

< Previous | Next >