Temporary Teacher

< Previous | Next >

DrD

England English
Hello all,

I'm trying to translate my CV into French and am a bit stuck on the correct translation of the word 'temporary' in job titles. I have, on a couple of occasions, worked as a temporary teacher for my university - on yearly or termly contracts. Should the translation of 'Temporary Teacher' be Professeur Temporaire, or Professeur Intérimaire, or Professeur à titre provisoire, or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance :)

• OLN

French - France, ♀
    exercer comme professeur contractuel ?

enseignant temporaire se dit aussi, mais comme "exercer comme professeur à titre provisoire" ou "pendant une (ou des) période(s) à durée déterminée" est un peu moins chic sur un CV. :)

DrD

England English
    OK - so can I just put 'Professeur contractuel' as the job title? So on the CV it would read:

Octobre 2009 - juin 2010: Université de xxxx: Professeur contractuel

DrD

England English
    Thanks franc_91 and Punky Zoé, having looked at the Wikipedia entry for enseignant vacataire, I think it fits.

Thanks for your help.

philosophia

français (France)
    Sorry to disagree – only slighty though :) – with OLN, Punly Zoé and Franc 91. At university temporary teachers are usually called "chargés de cours". This is the most usual name : un chargé de cours, une chargée de cours.
    Yet, Punky Zoé and Franc91 are right les chargés de cours (a title, sort of) are usually vacataires (legal status).
    Vacataire and contractuel are 2 types of contracts for teachers in secondary school and at university.
    The problem with "professeur vacataire" is that "professeur" is a title at university. You have les professeurs, les maîtres de conférence, les assistants, les moniteurs (the last two being graduate students) and les chargés de cours (who actually are des enseignants vacataires, very often des professeurs agrégés having a full time job in a secondary school and doing some extra hours at university). There are a lot of enseignants vacataires in secondary schools and vacataires is mostly used to mean secondary school teachers. That's why I'd rather say chargé de cours. (On my C.V, I put "chargée de cours".)

Last edited:

DrD

England English
    Thanks philosophia for a very thorough answer. I am actually a graduate student - so would this make me an 'assistante' or a 'moniteur', rather than a chargée de cours? To me, as an English speaker, both of these sound like I would have been providing assistance/extra lessons rather than actually being responsible for delivering part of the undergraduate programme...?

DrD

England English
    Thanks franc_91, I've had a look at the entries for moniteur and assistant as well, and I think charge de cours is probably the best fit...

< Previous | Next >