Tempting, enticing vs tantalizing

< Previous | Next >

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Based on dictionary definitions, all of the following bold adjectives should work properly in my self-made sentence. Which one of the following words doesn't sound idiomatic in English and why? (For me they all seem to be normal, but I need to know which one would be preferred by a native especially in AE). Meanwhile, I have no idea if one of them in this specific sense would sound too formal or unnatural:

> - That woman’s beauty is really tempting.
> - That woman’s beauty is really enticing.
> - That woman’s beauty is really tantalizing.

Last edited:
  • Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    "Tantalizing" sounds all right, perhaps "enticing" too, but "tempting" doesn't sound correct. "Tantalizing" and "enticing" don't mean the same thing, by the way.

Which one of the following words doesn't sound idiomatic in English and why?
    I don't know if it's possible to say why something isn't idiomatic.
    (For me they both seems to be normal,
    You mean "they all seem". "Both" is used when there are only two choices.

Last edited:

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    You mean "they all seem". "Both" is used when tbere are only two choices.
    Yea. ;) Actually, they were two first, but I added one more choice. Thank you, Barque.

"Tantalizing" sounds all right, perhaps "enticing" too, but "tempting" doesn't sound correct. "Tantalizing" and "enticing" don't mean the same thing, by the way.
    How it is not possible?! Based on dictionary definition these three words have some semantic overlaps which can mislead a non-native like me that they all can be used interchangeably.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >