ten big ones <riding on> the game

meramli

turkish
Chuck Episode 6 Versus the Sandworm, the minute around 5th minute

Dude, I got ten big ones riding on this quote-unquote video game.

Can you explain the meaning of this? Thanks in advance.

• dojibear

AE (US English)
    Florentia is correct, that it is using WR definition five: something depends on the outcome of the video game.

But here it has a very specific meaning: a gambling wager, a bet. Even if there was no mentioning of gambling anywhere else "ten big ones riding on" tells us that he is gambling. Specifically, he has placed a bet for $10,000 on the outcome of this video game.

It is not the "continue" gambling meaning in the WR dictionary ("let the bet ride" to the next round of gambling). It is a single bet.

Last edited:

meramli

turkish
    Much of the sentence I still have problem with.

Dude, I got ten big ones riding on this quote-unquote video game. (What is the meaning of 'get' I didn't understand)

he has placed a bet for $10,000 (How did you understand it was $10,000, I couldn't understand this from the movie.)

riding on ( It was explained as 'to depend' first and after it was said it's meaning is 'a gambling wager, a bet', how one word can mean two thing at one use?)

a gambling wager (I searched and both gambling and wager means 'kind of bet', or is gambling a kind of wager)

If you explain the answers of these questions, I will very appreciate.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Ten big ones" = $10,000.

The person has either invested $10,000 in a video game or has (in dojibear's opinion) bet $10,000 on the outcome of a video game. You haven't provided any context for the sentence, so we can't say which is correct. In either case, the person will lose his/her money if the outcome is bad.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Dude, I got ten big ones riding on this quote-unquote video game. (What is the meaning of 'get' I didn't understand)
    This is non-standard English. He's saying "I've got [I have got] ten big ones...."

he has placed a bet for $10,000 (How did you understand it was $10,000, I couldn't understand this from the movie.)
    "Big one" is slang for $1000. Ten big ones = ten thousand dollars. I is only used in plural. You wouldn't say "I have a big one," but "I won six big ones" means "I won $6000."

riding on ( It was explained as 'to depend' first and after it was said it's meaning is 'a gambling wager, a bet', how one word can mean two thing at one use?)

"Riding on" means "depends on the outcome." This is most likely to mean gambling, but it could also mean something else I think Florentia has explained this.

a gambling wager (I searched and both gambling and wager means 'kind of bet', or is gambling a kind of wager)
    "Gambling," "wagering," and "betting" all mean the same thing. To wager is to bet on a particular outcome.

If you explain the answers of these questions, I will very appreciate.
    I hope this helps.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    "Riding on" is not always gambling. As said above, it means "depending on the outcome of".

But once all the words are understood, the sentence says he has $10,000 depending on the outcome of a video game. That implies gambling: winning or losing $10,000.

meramli

turkish
    Thanks for all the helps, especially to Sparky Malarky, but still I didn't understand the meaning of 'got' : I got ten big ones riding on

What is the meaning of 'got' here (can you explain in detail please, thanks)?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    "I've got ten big ones riding on the game" means "I have wagered $10,000 on the outcome of the game."

In your original question, the quote refers to a video game. It seems unlikely that someone would place such a large bet on the outcome of a video game (though it's possible) and we don't really know whether he's playing the game or watching someone else play it. It is possible that he actually means that he's invested $10,000 in the development of the game, and he stands to lose his investment if the game does not become popular. We don't know from the small amount of context provided, and I am not familiar with the show.

meramli

turkish
    "I've got ten big ones riding on the game" means "I have wagered $10,000 on the outcome of the game."

In your original question, the quote refers to a video game. It seems unlikely that someone would place such a large bet on the outcome of a video game (though it's possible) and we don't really know whether he's playing the game or watching someone else play it. It is possible that he actually means that he's invested $10,000 in the development of the game, and he stands to lose his investment if the game does not become popular. We don't know from the small amount of context provided, and I am not familiar with the show.

He's playing the game not watching someone else...

Does 'got' mean 'wager', I thought get or got means 'to obtain, buy, or earn something', the problem is here.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    "I've got ___" just means "I have ___" in this case.

He's saying that he bet $10,000 on the outcome of the game. "I've got a $10,000 bet placed on this game."

dojibear

AE (US English)
    I have got is a correct way of saying I have. It's the same meaning, with a different wording. Present tense.

I've got is the standard contraction form of I have got. Present tense.

I got is a common way of saying I've got. Present tense. It is incorrect English, but it is very common because it is easier to say than "I've got".

Unfortunately the same words said the same way (I got) is also correct English for a past tense verb. We figure out which it is from the context.

In the TV script quoted in #1, it is present tense, so "I got" means "I have".