ten for every one

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:

Do you think I have no memories?Oh,ten for every one of your?

I know the meaning of the sentence. But what's the meaning of the word "for"?
another example"
I can memorize ten word for every one you memorized.

(sorry, I cannot find more context)
Best wishes.

• I had to think about this for a bit because it sounds so natural to me that I hadn't ever thought about it. It's expressing the comparison in terms of a trade, in my opinion.

If I want to bargain in a market, I might say:"I'll give you seven dollars for two of those." I'm trading seven dollars for two items. In this case, the speaker is talking about memories as if he were able to trade them. "(I could trade you) ten for every one of yours." When sharing memories, we actually speak of it sometimes as "swapping memories", as if we're trading them like goods or currency.

That's my interpretation, at least.

Just out of curiosity... were you expecting "Ten to every one of yours"? That's the only other word I could think of in that position and it's less idiomatic than "for", in my opinion.

Hi, JamesM
    Thank you for your reply~!
    Sorry, I cannot provide more context right now.
    But i guess it thought it's something like "I memorized ten words for every one word you did" (the speaker is saying he has a good memory)
    And then, I cannot determine the meaning of "for"

Best wishes.

Generally 'for' is the correct word, however, if you structure the sentence differently, then yes.

I have many more memories than you, by a ratio of ten to one.

I have ten times more memory capacity than you.

My memory retention is yours multiplied by ten.

My memory retention is the same as yours by a multiple of ten.

Back