tendre une perche

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
IdF
French (lower Normandy)
Hello

I've always wondered how you would say "tendre une perche" in English.
Here is an example I've read:

It's about Prince Charles' Duchy Home Farm.

La presse britannique ne s'était alors pas privée d'ironiser sur ce prince vieux jeu, qui protestait contre tout ce qui pouvait sembler moderne. Il faut dire que le gaffeur leur a tendu des perches, avec des phrases du genre : "Je parle aux plantes. C'est très important de leur parler : je trouve qu'elles répondent."

At the time the British press didn't stop making fun of this outdated prince, who protested against anything that seemed modern. It should be mentioned that this goofball ___, with sentences such as: "I talk to plants. It's important to talk to them: I think they answer".

Maybe I should try to explain what it means but it's hard. Hmm, to make it easy for someone to make fun of you by something you say.

Sorry for this long extract
Any help deeply appreciated :)

• clairet

England & English (UK version)
    "..has given them a helping hand.." seems to me to fit the context well. The prince has said things which support the mocking picture of him in the British press.

Monsieur Hoole

Canada English
    ...made it easy for them

....made himself an easy target

un peu tiré par les cheveux: It must be said that making fun of the old git was like shooting fish in a barrel.

M.H.:)

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I always thought that tendre la perche meant something like to offer a helping hand; in your context, however, it seems to be different.
    It's funny because for me "tendre une perche" in the context I've mentioned comes before the more literal one "helping someone" :)

I like your suggestions Mr Hoole :)
    Your far-fetched suggestion is not bad at all even though I would like to show that Charles brought it upon himself with what he said.

That's frustrating because I say quite often "tu me tends une perche, là" but it's quite hard to remember the context & all that ... Bref, maybe I'll come back if have a better example ... Beware :p

broglet

English - England
    ...made it easy for them

....made himself an easy target

un peu tiré par les cheveux: It must be said that making fun of the old git was like shooting fish in a barrel.

M.H.:)
    Your first two suggestions (especially the second) strike just the right note, but the third seems more gratuitously offensive than the original French.

You could also say " ... made himself a sitting duck ..." or " ... set himself up for it ..." or " ... didn't do himself any favours ..."

On peut aussi dire "to be asking for it", comme dans cet exemple :

You have to admit that you were asking for it.

Il faut quand même avouer que tu m'as tendu une perche là.
    Ça marche aussi pour l'exemple du prince. Il faut juste retenir qu'on utilise toujours les temps progressifs : he's asking, he was asking, etc.

< Previous | Next >