tener celos / estar celoso

MisterMiracle

English - United States
Now I have seen and heard these before:

Tengo celos.
Tengo miedo.
Tengo verguenza.

But do these also work with the verb estar?

Estoy celoso.
Estoy asustado.
Estoy avergonzado.

• xpell

Spanish - Spain
    Yes, they're perfectly OK. :)

But please notice it's "vergüenza" and "avergonzado."

PS. To me, the use of "estar" sounds "stronger" than "tener."

MisterMiracle

English - United States
    Yeah, I know. I didn't know how to get that special u on verguenza and the extra a in avergonzado was a typo.

Is there any difference between those two ways to those things?

xpell

Spanish - Spain
    Yeah, I know. I didn't know how to get that special u on verguenza and the extra a in avergonzado was a typo.

Is there any difference between those two ways to those things?
    For the Ü try Alt+154 and for the ü, Alt+129, it works for me.

Not really a difference, the "estar" variant just sounds with a "stronger shade" to me. For instance, "tengo vergüenza" sounds to me like a kid saying "I feel shy" ("...to talk to that adult", for instance), while "estoy avergonzado" sounds more like strongly apologizing, meaning "I'm really ashamed of what I did." Same with "tengo celos" (which sounds to me as almost apologizing for being jealous) and "estoy celoso" (to me, closer to "I'm jealous as hell"). On the opposite, "tengo miedo" and "estoy asustado" sound pretty much the same to me. But this can be my personal perception or the particular variant of Spanish in my area and it would be highly dependent on the context.

Last edited:

jsvillar

Spanish - Spain
    Also, if you normally feel that way, you can say:

Soy celoso
    Soy miedoso
    Soy vergonzoso

So it is:

Tengo + noun
    Estoy + adjectivized participe (or if it doesn't exists, adjective). Asustar-Asustado/a, Avergonzar-Avergonzado/a
    Soy + adjective

It is not so different in English, I'm shy=Soy vergonzoso, I'm ashamed=Estoy avergonzado.

< Previous | Next >