tener el camino hecho

VaneF

Castellano - Argentina
Hello!
I cannot find a right expression for "tener el camino hecho". It means to have advantages since you were born.
Somebody is talking about sport celebrities.

"Esos tipos que nacen con la varita y ya tienen el camino hecho. Es decir, tienen que entrenar y todo, pero ya tienen un paso más que nosotros“.

My try:
Those guys are born with the magic wand / are born lucky and XXXXX. I mean, they do have to train and all, but they are always one step ahead".

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wandering JJ

British English
    I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but we have an expression 'born with a silver spoon in your/their mouth' que equivale a 'nacer en cuna de oro'.

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    Why doesn't "born under a lucky star" fit?

Born under a lucky star: Very fortunate, as in Peter comes out ahead no matter what he tries; he was born under a lucky star.

If this doesn't fit, please explain more about the meaning of "tener el camino hecho."

VaneF

Castellano - Argentina
    Thanks, gotitadeleche.

The thing is that the original include two expressions:

"Esos tipos que nacen con la varita y ya tienen el camino hecho".

Nacer con la varita (mágica): Be born under a lucky star.
    Tener el camino hecho: Everything is easier for them / the don't have to struggle so much.

My try:

"Those guys are born under a lucky star, so everything is a bit easier for them. I mean, they do have to train and all, but they are always one step ahead".

Does it sound natural to you? Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >