tengo tan mala cabeza...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by madredecuatro, Mar 4, 2009.

1. madredecuatro

madredecuatro Senior Member

Tengo tan mala cabeza, que no recuerdo algunos detalles importantes de mis vivencias con vosotros.

I can't even give it a try, because I don't know where to start with.

2. Antpax

Antpax Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish Spain
    Hola madredecuatro:

Sería "forgetful", pero es mucho más sosa que la expresión española, a ver si algún nativo nos echa un cable.

Saludos.

Ant

3. Angeli-k

Angeli-k Member

Granada, Spain
    Spanish
    "Tener mala cabeza" = "To have a bad memory"

I don't know if there are more colloquial expressions in English, but that's the basic meaning.

4. jackaustralia Senior Member

Australia English
    Maybe you could use 'I am so silly (or so stupid) that I don't remember important details of my experiences with you.'

5. brynhild

brynhild Senior Member

madrid
    SPANISH CUBA
    ¿Sería posible utilizar "poor memory"?

My memory is so poor that...

Saludos

6. madredecuatro

Jackaustralia, I don't want to use silly or stupid, because that's not the meaning of tener mala cabeza, which means to have bad memory. I agree with the rest of the sentence.
    Could I say I am so absent-minded that...?

Ant, forgetful could be too formal.

Angeli-K, could I say: I have such bad memory that...

7. riscman Senior Member

Warwick England
    English-English
    " have such a shocking memory that I'd forget my head of it wern't attached"

8. Angeli-k

Angeli-k Member

Granada, Spain
    Spanish
    madredecuatro, memory is a countable noun, so you say "I have such a bad memory that..."

I think absent-minded means that you're distracted, thinking about something else, not necessarily that you have a bad memory!

9. madredecuatro

Gracias a todos. Creo que me quedo con I have such a shocking memory.... Recuerdo que se usaba de forma más coloquial, que es lo que yo buscaba.

10. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    My memory's so bad that (I can't remember/I've forgotten) a lot of important details of the time I spent (with/living among) you.

11. Angeli-k

Angeli-k Member

Granada, Spain
    Spanish
    I'm not sure, but I think that if you say I have such a shocking memory... it can either mean that is shockingly good or shockingly bad. I hope a native speaker can make it clearer!

12. madredecuatro

Thank you all. Aztlaniano, I'll take your translation. Thanks Angeli-K for your explanations.

13. riscman Senior Member

Warwick England
    English-English
    When it comes to memory, "shocking" is never good:)

14. SydLexia Senior Member

London, EU
    UK English
    I'm sorry but I don't see the problem with "shocking" and, after all, the same could be said of "terrible" or "bad" in this context.

My first thought was "I have such a terrible memory that...."

I can't see much advantage in switching the phrase round so we are concentrating on 'my memory' rather than 'I'....

syd