Tenken (sent from the heavens)

Nikito22

English and Italy
Hi everybody, I heard the word tenken means "sent from the heavens" or something of that sort. Is this true?

• Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Perhaps we need more context to determine what the best answer is for your enquiry but I think your tenken is 天譴. This is literally "heavenly admonition" that is meted out to the humans in response to their sins. My take on this concept, by the way, is very well expressed by Mr. Ambrose Bierce's dictionary (s.v. plague). ;)

Nikito22

English and Italy
    Thanks so much for the reply, so the word's definition could basically be described as kharma, wouldn't you say?

samanthalee

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    Not exactly. Kharma uses the concept of cause and effect, which is similar to the saying "You reap what you sow" and requires no divine intervention. Hence the term kharma is neutral, that is we can have good kharma and bad kharma. Kharma may also follow a being through its many incarnations; that is we can be suffering because of a sin committed in a previous life, or we may be enjoying good fortunes now for the good work done in a previous life.

On the other hand, 天譴 refers to punishment administered by Heaven. It requires the existence of a divine entity which judges the behaviour of all beings. From my understanding, 天譴 would be administered within a lifetime when the sin is committed. The concept of incarnations is not present with 天譴.

Nikito22

English and Italy
    Ohhh Thanks, all this information helped me out, but ive seen the word used differently, ill post up a video in a couple of days when i have more time, to give you guy's more context.

< Previous | Next >