Tense Agreement

< Previous | Next >

Anais Ninn

Korean
Which is correct? If both, what's the difference in meaning?

1. they said they would be prepared to have plastic surgery when they got older.

2. they said they would be prepared to have plastic surgery when they get older.

Thanks!

Anais

• gaer

US-English
    Which is correct? If both, what's the difference in meaning?

1. they said they would be prepared to have plastic surgery when they got older.

2. they said they would be prepared to have plastic surgery when they get older.

Thanks!

Anais
    Context could make either work, I think:

1) They said they would be prepared to have plastic surgery when they got older, but now that they are old, they seem to have changed their minds.

2) Recently they said they would be prepared to have plastic surgery when they get older. I wonder if they will change their minds when the time comes?

Anais Ninn

Korean
    Aha! Thanks, gaer. That makes sense.

Anais

Context could make either work, I think:

1) They said they would be prepared to have plastic surgery when they got older, but now that they are old, they seem to have changed their minds.

2) Recently they said they would be prepared to have plastic surgery when they get older. I wonder if they will change their minds when the time comes?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Here's a different context for (1).

When they were young, they swore that they would never ever have plastic surgery, but they said they would be prepared to have plastic surgery when they got older.

In this case "when they got older" modifies "they said".

< Previous | Next >