Tenses Conversion

razakazmii

Urdu
Hello,

If there is a PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE and we want to convert it into PAST TENSE. How shall we convert it? Can we only convert it to PAST SIMPLE or FUTURE SIMPLE TENSE?

Example:
1. We eat rice in the evening everyday. (Present Simple Tense)

Does the above tense compel us to convert it into only SIMPLE FORMS OF TENSES?

• Johnny519

Mandarin
    Hello,

If there is a PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE and we want to convert it into PAST TENSE. How shall we convert it? Can we only convert it to PAST SIMPLE or FUTURE SIMPLE TENSE?

Example:
    1. We eat rice in the evening everyday. (Present Simple Tense)

Does the above tense compel us to convert it into only SIMPLE FORMS OF TENSES?
    Your example states a habitual thing we usually do everyday, why do you want to convert it into the past tense? If you really want to try, it would change the meaning, such as we ate rice yesterday evening, it just tells what happened yesterday, not the thing you would usually do.

Forero

I don't know the purpose of this exercise, but the past tense of eat is ate:

We ate rice in the evening every day.

The present tense sentence is about what we always do, so the past tense version is about what we always did. Maybe we still do what we did, but the past tense is about what used to be called "now", not about the real "now".

razakazmii

Urdu
    My question was, if there is a tense like:
    1. It rains very heavily in Manchester in August.
    Now, it is present simple tense and we are asked to convert it into past. Will it be imperative to convert it into past SIMPLE? rather than continuous, perfect & perfect continuous.
    Anyway, i convert it like this:
    "It rained very heavily in Manchester in August.

Forero

My question was, if there is a tense like:
    1. It rains very heavily in Manchester in August.
    Now, it is present simple tense and we are asked to convert it into past. Will it be imperative to convert it into past SIMPLE? rather than continuous, perfect & perfect continuous.
    Anyway, i convert it like this:
    "It rained very heavily in Manchester in August.
    If you change only tense, you only change the time from now to back then. If you change aspect, you add some other meaning that was not in the original.

< Previous | Next >