Tepid/lukewarm -- liquid only?

Have a nice day

Russian
The title says it all. I'm writing a memoir in English and I need to say that a solid substance became tepid (or lukewarm.) Can I do that? Pretty much every dictionary points out that these words are used to describe liquids. Would it be weird for you if you encountered something like 'tepid chicken nuggets'?

• Copyright

American English
    Looking up "tepid chicken" on Google shows some results. I can't say that I would use it – I describe any solid food that isn't hot enough as "cold," even if that's room temperature in the tropics.

Chasint

English - England
    ...'tepid chicken nuggets'?
    Hmm... Unusual but I can imagine myself saying it. I agree that normal usage is with liquids. Another possibility is, "warmish chicken nuggets". This would sound rather insulting to the cook just as tepid would!

Waiter: How did you like your meal sir?
    Customer: Well the chicken was only warmish but everything else was okay.

You know, I think 'tepid' would work there!

Customer: Well the chicken was tepid but everything else was okay.
    :thumbsup: [My opinion]

Last edited:

Have a nice day

Russian
    Hmm... Unusual but I can imagine myself saying it. I agree that normal usage is with liquids.

Another possibility is, "warmish chicken nuggets". This would sound rather insulting to the cook just as tepid would!

Customer: Well the chicken was only warmish but everything else was okay.

You know, I think 'tepid' would work there!

Customer: Well the chicken was tepid but everything else was okay. :thumbsup: [My opinion]
    Thank you very much. I will use "warmish" then :cool:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Weren't you asking about "lukewarm" as well? I wouldn't hesitate to use that for solid food.

The surly waiter brought out two portions of lukewarm chicken nuggets and dumped them on the table.

< Previous | Next >