Term of Endearment

zwilling

English - American
Hello,

Earlier this year, I visited Germany and got to meet my 92 year old uroma, both for the very first time. I don't speak German, but my dad lived in Germany with my uroma during his early childhood and is conversational in it, so he was able to translate most of what was said.

When I met her, she called my sister and I a term of endearment. My dad doesn't know if there's a direct translation, and he doesn't know how to spell it, but it was pronounced "moo-shah-lay".

My uroma died last week, having just turned 93. My family and I are reminiscing about our time with her, and I was wondering if anyone knows what this word is? If it has any sort of translation and how it's spelled?

My uroma lived just outside of Würzburg since the 40s at least, but she was born in Stuttgart, if regionality is in any way significant

Last edited:
  • bearded

Standard Italian
    Hello and welcome to this forum!
    Just a surmise: it might be Muschile / Muschele meaning 'kitten'. Muschi is a colloquial childish word for cat, and -le is a diminutive ending in several German dialects. I hope that native German speakers will confirm.

Hutschi

It is possible.

It could also be "Mäusele" (Mäuschen, kleine Maus, little mouse.)
    This sounds very similar.

Muschele is possible, however. It fits a little bit better to your sound description.

Where did she come from? I suppose from the south.
    But it would be a good hint, because all given words are dialect influenced words.

< Previous | Next >