Terminator III ("three" or "the third"?)

< Previous | Next >

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
What do English people say when a film has sequels? I would say Terminator "three", but I've never heard anyone saying "let's go and see Spiderman II", for example. I would only use ordinal numbers with kings and queens.

Do you agree?

• Trinibeens

NYC
    U.S. English
    What do English people say when a film has sequels? I would say Terminator "three", but I've never heard anyone saying "let's go and see Spiderman II", for example. I would only use ordinal numbers with kings and queens.

Do you agree?
    For movies we say "two" and "three". However, we use "second" and "third" for personal names, as well as kings and queens. John Henry Robinson III would be "John Henry Robinson the third."

Matching Mole

England, English
    I agree it is "Terminator three". There is a comedy series called "Blackadder" and the third season was called "Blackadder the Third", this was a comic allusion to, or a pun on, the difference between "the third" used as a personal suffix and the the convention of using a number in titles of movie sequels. In this case Blackadder is a person as well as the series title. On account of that, if I heard "Terminator The Third", I would immediately think it was jocular.

< Previous | Next >