Terraced houses and semi detached houses

< Previous | Next >

europefranc

Italian
Hi everybody!

How would you translate in Italian semi detached houses and terraced houses? It's typically British and I even don't know if it's correct to translate it....

Thanks a lot!

Paola

• stefan671

Italy
    europefranc said:
    Hi everybody!

How would you translate in Italian semi detached houses and terraced houses? It's typically British and I even don't know if it's correct to translate it....

Thanks a lot!

Paola
    I try, but I'm not sure:
    villette bifamiliari
    case con terrazzo

niall

Ireland/English
    A terraced house is not a house with a terrace, at least not in Ireland and Britain. A terrace is a row of houses, all connected so that each house has two shared walls. A terraced house is just a house in a terrace.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    niall said:
    A terraced house is not a house with a terrace, at least not in Ireland and Britain. A terrace is a row of houses, all connected so that each house has two shared walls. A terraced house is just a house in a terrace.
    Hi niall,
    In Australia they are a row of attached house, all with terraces. They mean different things in different countries according to the Wikipedia link that I posted earlier.

max63

Italy, Italian
    niall said:
    In Italy we call them "villette a schiera" and they can be "bifamiliari" when they're built so that two of them share one wall or "singole" when they're actually builted in a row but each one is separated from the other.

I believe in BE a "terraced house" is a row of houses each of which shares a wall with its neighbor, as has been said -- except that the fronts are not even. Instead, the fronts are "stair-stepped" or "terraced." You don't see these often in the U.S. The houses in a row each sharing a common wall with its neighbor we'd call "row houses" or "town houses".

shamblesuk

England, English
    The houses on either end of the terrace (with one shared wall each) are called 'end terraces'. In a row of three houses connected the middle house would be the 'mid terrace'.

If there are more than two floors they are generally called 'town houses'.

Paperita

Italian
    Terraced house: "case a schiera"
    Semi detached house: "casa bifamiliare", a volte semplicemente "bifamiliare", es. "ho comprato una bifamiliare in periferia"

< Previous | Next >