terrassement en pleine masse

< Previous | Next >

alienath

French
Bonjour,

J'ai besoin d'aide pour traduire un devis de piscine en anglais (très technique, et je n'y connais rien!)
Comment traduiriez-vous : implantation et terrassement en pleine masse ?

Merci infiniment,
Alienath

• clairet

England & English (UK version)
    Welcome to the forum alienath. No problem with "implantation et terrassement" - "installation and landscaping". "en pleine masse" is more difficult. My guess from the numerous different meanings of "masse" is "installation and landscaping as appropriate to the site (using the sense of "masse" as forming a whole). I could be completely wrong about "en pleine masse" - hopefully a francophone will reply.

alienath

French
    Thanks a lot Clairet!
    What do you think of "slab-on-grade foundation" for "terrassement en pleine masse"?
    And what about "levelling work" for "terrassement"?

Thanks indeed,
    Alienath

clairet

England & English (UK version)
    Googling the phrase led me to this YouTube of ""terrassement en pleine masse" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7jjHP53zUA From the video it looks like it means foundation works in general (literally, I guess, landscaping in the ground). A minor oddity, if this is correct, is that in English we'd normally put the work in chronological order, i.e. we'd say "excavation, structural work and installation" rather than putting installation ahead of the excavation which it depends on.

Abesh

English
    I just came across this thead and thought I would add my two cents. I think that "en masse" here refers to "bulk" excavation work, and I would probably use "earthworks" for "terrassement", so maybe "bulk earthworks" would work.

Abesh

English
    Thanks a lot Clairet!
    What do you think of "slab-on-grade foundation" for "terrassement en pleine masse"?
    And what about "levelling work" for "terrassement"?

Thanks indeed,
    Alienath
    Another quick comment. I think that "levelling work" would probably correspond more to "mise à niveau" than "terrassement", but I'm not really sure about that.

< Previous | Next >