terreno di conquista e di competizione

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by AudreyH, Jan 26, 2011.

1. AudreyH Senior Member

Italian
    Hi,

is it correct to translate as follows?

"Il sistema televisivo nazionale è sempre stato terreno di conquista e di competizione da parte dei grandi poteri"

"National television broadcasting has always been a terrain for conquest and competition by the great powers".

Thanks for any suggestion...

2. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    National television broadcasting has always been a battlefield and competitive arena for the great powers.

3. AudreyH Senior Member

Italian
    Thant's perfect! Thank you so much.:)

4. giginho

giginho Senior Member

Svizzera / Torino
    Italiano & Piemontese
    *****NEW QUESTION******

Hi guys,

The context is an email discussion among colleagues about business strategy. We are talking about the best way to make a competitor understand that we will fight him if he will try to enter our market by saying:

Dobbiamo fargli capire che l'Europa non è un terreno di conquista

We must make him understand that Europe is not an hunting ground for him

I'm doubtful about hunting ground....does this make sense in my context? I'd like to find a very strong way of addressing this concept. If necessary please feel free to make changes to the sentence: no literal translation is required for that.

Thanks a lot,

Giginho

5. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    HI gig :)

I think it depends on your context here. Can we know what sector you are talking about? I agree that "hunting ground" doesn't sound all that natural on its own, but you could say

We must get him to understand that Europe is not a fertile hunting ground.
    or
    ...that Europe will never be a succesful growth area for his business.
    ...that Europe will not open up any opportunities for him.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  6. giginho

giginho Senior Member

Svizzera / Torino
    Italiano & Piemontese
    Hi Elfa,

Thanks a lot for your input. The context is a legal fight (intellectual property related), we would like to fight against the granting of their patents in Europe, preventing in this way their expantion in our market. I'd like to keep somehow the nuance of fighting, if it is possible.

7. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Ciao Elfa! This is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw Gigi's post. ;) Is your company the only one to fight them off? Perhaps keeping it more "combative" you might try
    We have to make them understand that they don't want to get in the ring with us in Europe.
    If there are more of you then maybe
    They need to know that the big guns are waiting for them if they try to enter the European market.

Just a side note and could be personal but when speaking of a competitor in business I think I'd always refer to "them" and not "him" or "her".

8. giginho

giginho Senior Member

Svizzera / Torino
    Italiano & Piemontese
    Hi Ron, thanks!

At present is just a "one on one" fight, so I'd go with they don't want to get in the ring with us in Europe.

Thanks a lot for your help