terribly welcome

squidink

Venezuela, Spanish
If one were eager to see someone or something, would it make sense to say that the person or thing is "terribly welcome"? For example, "You're terribly welcome here!" or "Your applie pie is terribly welcome anytime!" Surely, there must be other ways to say it, but is that particular phrase ok?

• Plink

English, USA
    Same. Maybe a better alternative would be, "You are most/more than welcome here!" or "Your apple pie is always welcome." Using terribly would be a contradiction to welcome. Hope that helps!

squidink

Venezuela, Spanish
    It seems that it doesn't many any sense to most people. Good to know! Thanks!

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    It seems that it doesn't many any sense to most people. Good to know! Thanks!
    Humm....I'm not a BE speaker.....
    But I've only heard of "(I'm) most terribly sorry" spoken by BE speakers.
    There's something about the combination of "terribly" and "welcome" that makes me uncomfortable.......

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I agree with nichec, in that I tend to use "terribly" for negatives, e.g. "I'm terribly sorry", "I'm terribly worried".

With welcome, you could say "You're very welcome here!"

"You're more than/most welcome" (as previously suggested) is also fine. I'm sure there are other ways of saying that are just as effective.

"You apple pie is always most welcome" could also be used.

squidink

Venezuela, Spanish
    "Something/Someone is most welcome" sounds great.

I just throught that "terribly" could express something positive in a great magnitude, as in "She is terribly beautiful." But I suppose that although "beautiful" is normally considered something positive, it could also be perceived as something negative, in the sense that it can cause pain or madness (when the beautiful person or thing is not possessed) .

Anyway, going back to "terribly welcome": I agree that it sounds strange. Thanks to all!

nichec

"Something/Someone is most welcome" sounds great.

I just throught that "terribly" could express something positive in a great magnitude, as in "She is terribly beautiful." But I suppose that although "beautiful" is normally considered something positive, it could also be perceived as something negative, in the sense that it can cause pain or madness (when the beautiful person or thing is not possessed) .

Anyway, going back to "terribly welcome": I agree that it sounds strange. Thanks to all!
    Somehow that sounds funny to me too (but maybe it's just me.....)
    I would say something like:
    --She's impossibly beautiful.

squidink

Venezuela, Spanish
    I think "terribly beautiful" is relatively common. It could mean something like
    "disconcertingly beautiful".

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Actually, that phrase seems ok to me as well. I've just had a look around the internet and noticed "terribly lovely" (not as common) and "terribly sexy" (a little more common than "terribly beautiful", although often used in the phrase "not terribly sexy".)

I agree that they probably have an implication of discomforting beauty.

nichec

Actually, that phrase seems ok to me as well. I've just had a look around the internet and noticed "terribly lovely" (not as common) and "terribly sexy" (a little more common than "terribly beautiful", although often used in the phrase "not terribly sexy".)

I agree that they probably have an implication of discomforting beauty.
    Hummmmm....I see:)
    I use "terribly sexy" myself, but not "lovely" or 'beautiful" I guess it's just a personal thing:)

< Previous | Next >