terror-struck at the solitude which so ruthless a judge haunted,—at the silence which so awful

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 27) | Genius

Quotation: “Let me be torn away,” then I cried. “Let another help me!”

“No; you shall tear yourself away, none shall help you: you shall yourself pluck out your right eye; yourself cut off your right hand: your heart shall be the victim, and you the priest to transfix it.”

I rose up suddenly, terror-struck at the solitude which so ruthless a judge haunted,—at the silence which so awful a voice filled.

Context: Jane's Conscience was fighting her Passion.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. The writing is odd to me. :confused: I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

the sentence => I was terrified because I was visited by such a ruthless judge when I stayed alone, because I heard such an awful voice break the silence.

• cissy3

English-England
    In my opinion, the ''ruthless judge'' and the ''awful voice'', was in fact her own. She was terror-struck by the consequences of her own plan to leave Mr. Rochester.

Someone else may think differently however :)

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    In my opinion, the ''ruthless judge'' and the ''awful voice'', was in fact her own. She was terror-struck by the consequences of her own plan to leave Mr. Rochester.
    :idea: I see. Thank you for your explanation. :D

I must say the expression of " at the solitude which " is too subtle to be comprehensible to me. :oops:

< Previous | Next >