tesi dell’esame di terza media

Erszebet

Czech
Hi, I am having difficulty translating this sentence:

"Era sempre molto gentile e premuroso verso il prossimo, come quando
per la tesi dell’esame di terza media si era offerto di farmela, visto che lui aveva una speciale dimestichezza con il computer."

I have difficulty understanding how exactly looks a "tesi dell’esame di terza media". Do I translate it like "essay during the exams"? How old is one in the terza media? Do I count well he is about 13?

What confuses me is that the text is presenting it as a compliment. But if someone wrote for me my thesis on his computer, that would nearly be cheating. I mean during exams when you write an essay you have to do it during the class, you are being controlled by the teacher... If someone else could be rewriting it, there would be a risk of him changing it...

The context is a friend of this guy that remembers him for helping him in the "lyceo classico" about the year 2005. The one who helped was a computer geek and helped people with computers. But... helping during "tesi d'esame"?

Thanks!

• Starless74

Italiano
    Hello, Erszebet
    - yes, one usually takes the "terza media" exam at 13;
    - "tesi" is not the essay one does in the class, it's something you prepare beforehand and then discuss in front of the teachers during the exam.
    - the character much probably just offered to type the thesis on a word processor, so there actually was no "cheating" (although "farmela" does sound like the guy offered to do the thesis for him altogether...).

Erszebet

Czech
    So this "tesi" is something like notes, research you prepare, than you have it in your hand and speak about it with the teacher? Come una sorta di presentazione?
    Grazie!
    E.

Starless74

Italiano
    So this "tesi" is something like notes, research you prepare, than you have it in your hand and speak about it with the teacher?
    Yes, it was patterned after "degree dissertation" we have at the university
    which, I've just learnt, vary from country to country and is not obvious to everyone.

Last edited: