Tesla Model Three / Third Model

Sobakus

I've found myself thinking whether a proper name given to a production model after its ordinal number would have been expressed as a cardinal ("model three") or an ordinal ("third model/model third") number in Latin. In cases like this I like to search for analogies in other languages, and in the three other languages I speak (Russian, English) or understand (German) it's the cardinal number, being employing as an apposition to "model" instead of a modifier, the latter sounding exactly like "Tesla third model" in English, i.e. a mere instance of enumeration - but I'm wondering whether this choice is not universal. Since it's difficult to know how what's spelt with a numeral is pronounced, I ask for your assistance - do you know of a language where in proper names like this, the number is ordinal?

• Yendred

Français - France
    In French, it should also be the cardinal for the name of the production model:
    Tesla Modèle Trois

But in a context where you describe more extensively what it is about, you may also say something like:
    Le troisième modèle de Tesla s'appelle Tesla Modèle Trois (The third Tesla model is called Tesla Model Three)

Määränpää

Finnish
    In formal Finnish, kings have ordinal numbers and products have cardinal numbers (I think?). However, in colloquial Finnish, products have nominalized versions of numbers (third category, neither cardinal nor ordinal):

Cardinal numbers 1-10: yksi, kaksi, kolme, neljä, viisi, kuusi, seitsemän, kahdeksan, yhdeksän, kymmenen

Ordinal numbers 1-10: ensimmäinen, toinen, kolmas, neljäs, viides, kuudes, seitsemäs, kahdeksas, yhdeksäs, kymmenes

Nominalized numbers 1-10: ykkönen, kakkonen, kolmonen, nelonen, vitonen, kutonen, seiska, kasi, ysi, kymppi

Compound forms of nominalized numbers: ykkös-, kakkos-, kolmos-, nelos-, vitos-, kutos-, seiska-, kasi-, ysi-, kymppi-

Model Three could therefore be:

malli kolme
    malli kolmonen
    kolmosmalli

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    and in the three other languages I speak (Russian, English) or understand (German) it's the cardinal number
    However, in colloquial Finnish, products have nominalized versions of numbers (third category, neither cardinal nor ordinal):

Just like in colloquial Finnish, we use "nominalized numbers" in Hungarian, which are formed with the suffix -s. I think they can be compared to Russian "единица, двойка, тройка", etc. The same forms with -s are also used as adjectives, meaning something like "double, triple, quadruple", etc.

Cardinal numbers: egy, kettő, három, négy, öt, hat, hét, nyolc, kilenc, tíz

Ordinal numbers: első, második, harmadik, negyedik, ötödik, hatodik, hetedik, nyolcadik, kilencedik, tizedik
    (just like in English, Finnish and Russian, "first" and "second" are irregular)

Nominalized numbers: egyes, kettes, hármas, négyes, ötös, hatos, hetes, nyolcas, kilences, tízes

So, "Model Three" is "Hármas Modell" in Hungarian.

Last edited: