Tetra Pak --?

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
Chinese, Taiwan
Hi, everyone,

Tetra Pak is a kind of container for soft drinks, but it is a trademark.
What do we call that kind of fluid container in everyday life? Just say Tetra Pak?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
  • Brioche

    Senior Member
    Australia English

    Tetra Pak started off as a tetrahedron shaped package, but now Tetra Pak is the name of the company, not the name of the package.

    It makes packaging in many different shapes.

    I call those plastic-coated containers "cartons".


    Senior Member
    English, UK
    I always thought that Tetrapak was the name for a four carton pack of milk/orange juice. I've also heard it called a Tetrabrik in some places.



    Senior Member
    English UK
    If you google-image tetra pack/tetrapack/tetrapak and tetrabrick/tetra brick the same kind of cartons come up. I usually say carton, too. I don't think I have a word for the shape of packaging in Brioche's link. :confused:


    English, US
    If I'm looking at the right picture - the caption says "A brick of French UHT milk" - then at least up here in Boston we call it by it's size.

    A gallon of milk, a half-gallon of milk, or even just plain gallon.
    Tom picked up the gallon sitting in the fridge.

    Carton works too.


    Senior Member
    US, English
    But a gallon of milk doesn't come in a tetra-brik... It comes in a jug. A half gallon comes in a regular carton. A tetra brik is different.

    In the US, the unrefrigerated milk and soy-milk comes in them, as do certain juices, other drinks, and soups. Where I lived (DC) these were called bricks.


    Senior Member
    Swiss German
    In Switzerland we use term Tetrapak for any rectangular cardboard container with milk. The term result from the manufacturing company -- you can find their .com website easily.

    . 1

    Australian Australia
    That is a carton as far as I know.
    It is a cardboard or paper based container. When I say 'carton' I have no image of shape in my mind.



    Senior Member
    Chinese, Taiwan
    Thanks for all the comments.

    But a carton seems to refer to a container that can preserve drinks for only weeks under refrigeration. Is it so?

    However, the "Tetra Pac" I've mentioned is the kind of container that can preserve drinks for a longer period without refrigeration. It usually contains an aluminum layer at the inner side of this kind of container.


    When referring to juice packaged this way (for my kids' lunches...) we call them Juice Boxes. I agree "carton" has a different shape/storage/shelf-life implied.

    I tend to avoid milk in long-term storage containers, so I haven't really used ANY term. I would guess that if suddenly I began buying the product, I would call them "milk-boxes". Hmmmm.


    Senior Member
    Chinese, Taiwan
    There is in Chinese a specific term “箔包” for the kind of container that can preserve drinks of juice for a longer period without refrigeration.
    I asked this question because I wanted to know if there exists a term to call that “Tetra Pak” in English.

    Thanks for all of you guys’ comments again.


    Senior Member
    Hello. I think that the range of answers serves to demonstrate that speakers of English do not reflect much upon the packaging of the goods they may consume, unless of course the speaker happens to work in some aspect of the food supply industry. This should probably come as no surprise seeing as the packaging goes straight into the bin once drained of its contents.

    The words "carton" or "brick" should suffice to call to mind the designated packaging; any more technical than this and you risk confusing your audience (assuming your audience to be English speakers).

    I would hazard that the majority of fluent native English speakers would not know for sure the meaning of "Tetra-Pak".
    < Previous | Next >