Textual

< Previous | Next >
  • AWordLover

USA English
    Hi,

Textually is an adverb (modifying the verb do in your sentence).

The WordReference dictionary will let you look at Merriam-Webster or dictionary.com, even if you don't find your word there.

dn88

Polish
    I guess you should say "in writing" not "textually".

"You can do your project orally or in writing."

Packard

USA, English
    Note: People use "verbal" in AE frequently to mean "oral". As in, "He responded verbally."

Actually that is an ambiguous way to write. "Verbally" means "with words" and could be either "oral" or "written".

You can respond: 1. Orally (spoken word)
    2. In writing
    3. Verbally (either in writing or orally).

Primal

Canadian English
    OK. Thanks a lot.
    Packard: I didn't know that about "verbally". I thought it was a perfect synonym of orally, but according to you it means more.
    dn88 and WordLover:Thanks for your input, but you kind of contradicted each other. Can you use "textually," or not? Either way I probably will...

jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    Is there an adgective meaning "in text?"
    eg. You can do your project orally or [textually]??
    Thanks.
    I don't claim to be too well versed in these things, but I'd think textual is more used to refer to texts in the sense of something being related to texts (textual analysis, for example) rather than "being a text", and wouldn't then be synonymous to "in writing". Perhaps someone could confirm or dismiss this...?

dn88

Polish
    I suppose "textually" would mean "according to the original text" or "word after word", let's have an example:

Fortunately, all the documents damaged by the recent fire have been reproduced almost textually.

Maybe that helps.

PS: I concur with jonquiliser's opinion.

Packard

USA, English
    OK. Thanks a lot.
    Packard: I didn't know that about "verbally". I thought it was a perfect synonym of orally, but according to you it means more.
    dn88 and WordLover:Thanks for your input, but you kind of contradicted each other. Can you use "textually," or not? Either way I probably will...

It can be a synonym for orally or it can be a synonym for the written word. The meaning can be ambiguous. For that reason it is sometimes better to pin it down with either "orally" or "in writing".

See:
    <<Excessive unattributed untidy quoted text deleted - alternative legal version below>>
    From the WordReference dictionary:
    verbal Aadjective
    1 verbal
    communicated in the form of words; "verbal imagery"; "a verbal protest"

2 verbal
    prolix; "you put me to forget a lady's manners by being so verbal"- Shakespeare

3 verbal
    relating to or having facility in the use of words; "a good poet is a verbal artist"; "a merely verbal writer who sacrifices content to sound"; "verbal aptitude"

4 verbal
    expressed in spoken words; "a verbal contract"

5 verbal
    of or relating to or formed from a verb; "verbal adjectives like `running' in `hot and cold running water'"

6 verbal
    of or relating to or formed from words in general; "verbal ability"

See also M-W entry.

< Previous | Next >