Textured family man

Tritta

French
Hello,

In the following sentence, I wonder what the expression "textured family man" evokes to an English speaking person (bon, traditionnel, pittoresque... ?)

Speaking of an actor for a part:

"Trying to find someone that could really hit the notes in terms of the beats within the piece where he could be slightly abrasive with Bertie, he could also play the slightly avuncular friend to Bertie, that he could in his home life be both this textured family man who has an inherent love of his family but at the same time this burning ambition."

Thanks in advance!

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Hello, Tritta! Sorry you haven't got a reply to your question, but it doesn't surprise me. I can't imagine what "textured" means here. Furthermore, the sentence as a whole is poorly written, incoherent, hard to make sense of. I'd like to ask the writer what exactly he meant by all of this. Sorry I can't help.

catay

Canada anglais
    As Seneca the Duck says, "textured" seems to be an unfortunate choice of adjective. Taking a cue from the word "abrasive" I wonder if the author means something along the lines of "a gruff family man" - un père bourru ?

janitor

English - Canada
    Yea, textured is a very odd word. We might use it for fabrics, but for people??
    I would guess it means traditional, but I've never heard that word used for people before.

Tritta

French
    Thank you all for your replies! This is reassuring: it means it's not only me. Having seen the film this character is taken from (the therapist in The King's Speech), I would say that "traditionnel" would be the correct translation then.

< Previous | Next >