than Des Moines is from Chicago

Mimi2020

Chinese
"and since 1972 no one has ventured much farther into space than Des Moines is from Chicago."
A new age of space exploration is beginning

Can someone help me understand the comparison please?
I understand that it is saying that the 1972 mission (to planet Jupiter) is the farthest that humans have succeeded in reaching, or not? But is there any reason that .Des Moines and Chicago are used here for comparison(the distance between them is 333 miles btw)?

• reno33

English - USA
    No, there is no particular reason (that I can fathom) for using Chicago/Des Moines in this comparison other than the author is addressing a USA audience most of whom would know where Chicago and Des Moines are and that they are very close. (Actually in 2020, I would be surprised if more than 50% of US residents under 25 would know where Des Moines is). (or how to pronounce it: in the USA, Des Moines (of French origin) is pronounced [de moyn/de moynz)

pob14

American English
    I understand that it is saying that the 1972 mission (to planet Jupiter) is the farthest that humans have succeeded in reaching, or not? But is there any reason that .Des Moines and Chicago are used here for comparison(the distance between them is 333 miles btw)?
    No, humans did not go to Jupiter; it refers to the last moon landing. Since then, humans have only gone into Earth orbit, less than 333 miles up. I agree that Chicago and Des Moines are used simply because they are easily found on a map by Americans.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    It is meant humorously, as a way of pointing out that space exploration has not taken place.

kentix

English - U.S.
    They are also the right distance apart, which is the basic requirement. From the cities that are the right distance apart they then have to choose one pair they think would be most understandable to their readers.
    no one has ventured
    That's what tells you they are talking about humans.

Mimi2020

Chinese
    I got it now. Thank you all so much for your help!! Very kind of you!
    I'm so happy I discovered this site--a great platform.

CuongH

Vietnamese
    In fact, it likely means the furthest distance one has travelled in space since 1972 (e.g. check ISS average altitude which is 248 miles) is less than that from DesMoines to Chicago (311 or 344 miles).

kentix

English - U.S.
    It gets a little tricky. People have traveled thousands of miles in space (around the planet) since then, but only several hundred miles out into space (distance vertically from the Earth).

Mimi2020

Chinese
    In fact, it likely means the furthest distance one has travelled in space since 1972 (e.g. check ISS average altitude which is 248 miles) is less than that from DesMoines to Chicago (311 or 344 miles).
    Thank you
    <-----Off-topic comment removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

It gets a little tricky. People have traveled thousands of miles in space (around the planet) since then, but only several hundred miles out into space (distance vertically from the Earth).
    Thank you very much! Yes that's how I understand it too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mimi2020

Chinese
    A follow-up questions here:
    Does the “no…further…than” structure indicate the distance traveled is less than or equal to the distance between Des Moinse and Chicago?(let’s pretend we don’t know the relevant numbers:))?

reno33

English - USA
    A follow-up questions here:
    Does the “no…further…than” structure indicate the distance traveled is less than or equal to the distance between Des Moinse and Chicago?(let’s pretend we don’t know the relevant numbers:))?
    Yes, that's what it means.

< Previous | Next >