...than I ever could/ I ever could have

Ashiq

Bangla
B has done something. Maybe he's built a model car. A compliments him:

A: You've done a great job!
B: Thanks, but I don't really think so!
A: I mean it! You've done a better job than. I ever could/ever could have done

Now, I'm leaning towards "I ever could" given "ever" seems to mean all time. However, I've also seen "ever could have" in similar situations.
So which one is the better choice and why? Or are they both right? Or perhaps (I hope not) both wrong?

I don't mean to ask two questions in one thread, but they feel so interconnected that I think I will. Suppose the conversation were a little different:
A: You did a great job!
B: Thanks. You're being too kind!
A: I mean it! You did a better job than I could do/could have done.
Again, which one is the better choice and why? I feel here could have done is correct.

Last edited:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    "I ever could" is a perfect fit.

You might see "I ever could have" where you want to say "have done" but the previous verb was "did". "I could ever have" is also possible in this situation.

Ashiq

Bangla
    "I ever could" is a perfect fit.

You might see "I ever could have" where you want to say "have done" but the previous verb was "did". "I could ever have" is also possible in this situation.
    thanks. Could you clarify the "did" part? In the first there is none.

P.S. I added a second part to my question.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Please write further questions in new posts, rather than editing your original post.

Whether "I could do" or "I could have done" is better depends on the situation. You will need to provide context if you want help with verb tenses (and almost anything else in English).

Ashiq

Bangla
    Please write further questions in new posts, rather than editing your original post.

Whether "I could do" or "I could have done" is better depends on the situation. You will need to provide context if you want help with verb tenses (and almost anything else in English).
    Ok, thanks, I'll keep in mind about the editing part. I did give a context with the dialogue.

< Previous | Next >