thank you for your hospitality

totorose

English - England
Hello all,

My partner is Polish and this weekend I was introduced to various members of his Polish family in Gdańsk. I am trying to learn to speak the language but I am extremely unfamiliar with writing it, and wish to send one of the family members a written thanks in Polish as it's easier for them to read. I didn't want to simply just put the message in google translate in case the grammar was incorrect.

I would just like to say something along the lines of: "Thank you for your kind hospitality at the weekend, I really appreciated it. Look forward to seeing you soon in England."

Dziękujemy za gościnność w weekend , naprawdę doceniam to. Do zobaczenia wkrótce w Anglii.

This is the translation that came up - could anyone verify how correct it is?

Thank you in advance for the help!

• MateuszMoś

Hello, to me, "Dziękuję za gościnność w weekend..." is quite all right, moreover, it is written in a kind manner. However, I would resort to something like this: "Bardzo dziękuję za wspaniałe przyjęcie i gościnność podczas ostatniego weekendu. Szczerze to doceniam!" - Thank you very much for the great party/reception and your hospitality during "the" last weekend. I really appreciated it."

The phrase: "Do zobaczenia..." should remain unchanged, for it is very "friendly".

Obviously, you do not need to change the sentences made up by you, for they sound quite acceptable, at least to me, and, nobody will have to start wondering what they mean! :D You can also use "demonstrative pronoun" and, it seems to me that this will be more comprehensible, my point: "Dziękuję za gościnność w tamten weekend" - Thank you for your kind hospitality at that weekend." But, for some people, "tamten" appears to be a bit unnatural :D.

So there is no sense changing it, for too much flamboyance is needless. We should stick to "last weekend.
    If a person is fastidious about accuracy, then, you can use: Dziękuję za gościnność w "ostatni - last" weekend :D.

totorose

English - England
    Oh, dziękuję! This is very helpful, interesting to learn different ways of writing in one context as well. I shall send her what you recommend. Thank you again.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    The phrase: "Do zobaczenia..." should remain unchanged, for it is very "friendly".
    I think that "Cieszę się na Wasz przyjazd do Anglii w najbliższym czasie" is a good alternative of translating "Look forward to seeing you soon in England", and it is more direct translation.
    If you are not afraid of being a little bookish you can also write "cieszę się na Wasz rychły przyjazd do Anglii", which is even more direct.

< Previous | Next >