Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Marco sent me a website for English learning. Is it okay to say:

Thank you for your share.

Thanks a lot

• Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Thanks a lot, Barque.

If Marco said "Hey,Silver, I want to share this site with you, it's useful for learning English." Is it natural to reply:

Because he used share correctly.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    Thanks a lot, Barque.

If Marco said "Hey,Silver, I want to share this site with you, it's useful for learning English." Is it natural to reply:

Marco uses the verb "share" correctly here. Your reply uses the noun "share" incorrectly. What you mean is "Thank you for sharing (the site with me)." You cannot say that by saying "Thank you for your share"

In English "your share" means "your portion". If there is a pizza with 6 slices, and it is being shared equally by three people, then "your share is two slices".

In English, to make a verb ("share") into a noun we must make it a gerund ("sharing") or an infinitive ("to share"). To make a verb into an adjective we use a participal ("shared"). We cannot simply use the present tense verb ("share") as a noun.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    If Marco said "Hey,Silver, I want to share this site with you,
    I don't agree with that use of the word "share".
    I'd expect: Hey, Silver, I want to tell you about a site I've just found.

"I want to share this site with you" to me sounds as if the speaker is saying "Let's you and I divide this site between us".

I suppose you could say "I want to share information about this site with you" but that sounds excessively wordy if the speaker just wants to tell the other person about the site.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Because so many websites use the word "share" to mean "Click here to send a friend a link to our site," the use of the word in this sense has become more common. Facebook in particular uses it to mean "Let your friends see this."

I wouldn't ever say "Thank you for your share," in part because it sounds as though you mean ""Thank you for giving me your portion of X," but I can imagine someone (especially someone young) saying, casually, "Thanks for the 'share' of that website." I don't like it, but I can foresee it. :rolleyes:

dojibear

AE (US English)
    "I want to share this site with you" to me sounds as if the speaker is saying "Let's you and I divide this site between us".
    "Divide between us" is one traditional meaning of "share", but "share this site" uses a different traditional meaning.

When we discover new and interesting things on-line, we "share" them with friends, just as we might "share" a secret with a friend, or "share" a story we heard, or "share" some gossip. We are telling the person about something they don't know about. We are sharing knowledge, sharing information.

Back in 1960, if I just got the phone number of a pretty girl, my male friends would ask me to "share" the number with them. It's that meaning.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I understand the intended meaning and I can understand "share a secret" and "share gossip" but "share a site" sounds off to me.

MarcB

US English
    The situation is such, that the vocabulary of the internet uses traditional words in New ways.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Yes, as I said, I understand the meaning. I was referring to the use of the word "share", which to my ears, makes the sentence sound odd, given the intended meaning, unlike, for instance: He told me about the site. I personally don't believe "share" should indiscriminately be used to replace "tell" or "give" or "send", as I often see it used nowadays.

Cagsak

Hello, nice people. I'm new here, and this is my first comment :) One of my friends shared the link of this title. Because I was always confused about this subject. I guess it's clear now. Thanks so much for letting me learn the correct usage of it.

< Previous | Next >