Thank you for

< Previous | Next >

carocome

French
Hello again,
What is it correct : "thank you for doing that (or something)" or "thank you to do that (or something)" ?
Thanks !

• taraa

Persian
    The verb "sorry" is used in two ways as: "Sorry for/about + -ing is used to refer to past things that one regrets. Sorry + perfect infinitive can be used with the same meaning. Sorry + infinitive is used to apologise for current situations "

Can "Thank" be used in the same way. I mean we thank someone for a completed action for example "thank you for answering my question". But before you answer my question can I say "thank you to answer my question" like "thanks in advanced"?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Thank you so much :)
    Is that the only usage of "thank you to", please?
    The words "thank you" in that example sentence are not the expression "thank you." They are the verb "thank," in the phrase "I'll thank," and its object "you" (the person whom I will thank). In that type of construction, the three-word sequence "thank you to" is possible. When you want to say "thank you" to someone and say why you are thanking them, always use "for."

taraa

Persian
    The words "thank you" in that example sentence are not the expression "thank you." They are the verb "thank," in the phrase "I'll thank," and its object "you" (the person whom I will thank). In that type of construction, the three-word sequence "thank you to" is possible. When you want to say "thank you" to someone and say why you are thanking them, always use "for."
    Thanks a lot :)
    In "thank you." , "thank" is a verb and "you" is its object, right?

< Previous | Next >