Thank you in advance (for your help).

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
Hallo,

I would like to know what native German speakers use when writing a post, comment, or an email to imply that they are thankful in advance for what the recipient(s) will probably do -- for example, "Thank you in advance for your help". I think
"Vielen Dank im Voraus!" and "Danke im Voraus!" convey the same meaning, am I right?

Danke!

• omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    Basically yes. "Vielen Dank" is even more polite than "Danke", similar to "Thank you" vs. "Thanks".
    Vielen Dank für Ihre Kommentare!

I suppose the formal way of saying something like "Thank you in advance for your help" in German would be "Vielen Dank im Voraus für Ihre Hilfe!", is it correct?

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    Hallo noch mal,

I know "Vielen Dank im Voraus!" and "Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe!(when addressing someone/some people formally)" are correct, but I'm not sure about the "Vielen Dank im Voraus für Ihre Hilfe!". Is it a common expression? If not, what do you, native German speakers, use to convey the same meaning?

Vielen Dank im Voraus!

Frieder

This would be an acceptable phrase, but it lacks rhythm somehow.
    I would write "Im Voraus vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe", or "Für Ihre
    Hilfe danke ich Ihnen im Voraus".

But in most case a simple "Vielen Dank im Voraus" will suffice.

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    This would be an acceptable phrase, but it lacks rhythm somehow.
    I would write "Im Voraus vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe", or "Für Ihre
    Hilfe danke ich Ihnen im Voraus".

But in most case a simple "Vielen Dank im Voraus" will suffice.
    Vielen dank, Frieder!
    First, I think "Im Voraus" is an adverb of time, and it can come in different places in the sentence. When it comes at the beginning of the sentence, it would be more emphatic in terms of meaning to show that the speaker (or writer) is really thankful in advance, do you agree?
    Second, could you please describe the second alternative a bit regarding the used structure? My problem is about "danke ich Ihnen". Shouldn't it be "ich danke Ihnen"?

Frieder

[...]First, I think "Im Voraus" is an adverb of time, and it can come in different places in the sentence. When it comes at the beginning of the sentence, it would be more emphatic in terms of meaning to show that the speaker (or writer) is really thankful in advance, do you agree?:tick:

Second, could you please describe the second alternative a bit regarding the used structure? My problem is about "danke ich Ihnen". Shouldn't it be "ich danke Ihnen"?:cross:
    "Ich danke Ihnen"
    "Ich danke Ihnen für Ihre Hilfe"
    "Für Ihre Hilfe danke ich Ihnen"

"Ich gehe nach Hause"
    "Nach Hause gehe ich"

"Ich fahre mit meinem Auto"
    "Mit meinem Auto fahre ich"

Please ask the grammar wizards
    why it should be like this, but
    trust me: it is correct.

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    "Ich danke Ihnen"
    "Ich danke Ihnen für Ihre Hilfe"
    "Für Ihre Hilfe danke ich Ihnen"

"Ich gehe nach Hause"
    "Nach Hause gehe ich"

"Ich fahre mit meinem Auto"
    "Mit meinem Auto fahre ich"

Please ask the grammar wizards
    why it should be like this, but
    trust me: it is correct.
    Vielen Dank für Ihre Kommentare! :)
    I didn't dare to say the structure is wrong. I am sure you're right. The problem is I didn't know why. That's related to the lack of my knowledge in German. From the provided examples, I can just guess when bringing the propositional phrase to the beginning of the sentence, the place of subject and verb will be changed. Is it correct?

Perseas

Greek
    "Thank you for your (pl.) help" is "Danke für Eure Hilfe".

"Thanks for any help (you can provide for my question)" would be "Danke für irgendeine/irgendwelche Hilfe (...)" or is there a more idiomatic way to express it? Danke sehr!

Glockenblume

Deutsch (Hochdeutsch und "Frängisch")
    The most important rule of German syntax is:
    In main clauses of Aussagesätze (Could anyone edit and translate the word?), the finite verb is on second position.

manfy

German - Austria
    "Thanks for any help (you can provide for my question)" would be "Danke für irgendeine/irgendwelche Hilfe (...)" or is there a more idiomatic way to express it? Danke sehr!
    This is not a good choice! (and I can't quite put my finger on it why.)
    Here you should definitely say "Danke für jegliche Hilfe (...)"

< Previous | Next >