Thank you in early business relations

Hi everyone、皆さんこんにちは。 :)

Context: in my Business Japanese class, it is asked from our Professor to complete a dialogue with the right "thank you".

The dialogue is between John-san (Sales Manager for a company manufacturing luxury shoes in France) and Kobayashi-sama a potential Japanese customer, who is a highly ranked and respected Vice-President in Suppliers Relations Management in the Fashion / Luxury Industry.

The first email of contact establishment and presentation went well.
It is now time for the second email exchange / round, where both parties try to set up a more specific framework.
John obviously wants a teleconference, in order to win Kobayashi-sama over.
Kobayashi-sama is interested in John's products, but still is hesitating to have a teleconference.

At the end of his email John should use a "Thank you" in Japanese. However, I don't know which one to chose... :confused:
=> There is a note in the exercice: "Please do not forget, that John must remain careful, very polite and humble, until he gets an official approval from Kobayashi-sama, in order for him to move forward toa teleconference".

どうもありがとうございます:
In this context, should I go for a safe bet, something generic, but safe, polite and which will not fail me: どうもありがとうございます.
Or should I use: 本当に or 誠に , instead of どうも ?

恐れ入ります or 恐縮です or 親切にして頂き、恐縮です:
What about: 恐れ入ります or 恐縮です, which shows extra humility by lowering John's rank to Kobayashi's ? :confused:
In that case, wouldn't 親切にして頂き、恐縮です be better than 恐れ入ります ? :confused:

お気遣い痛み入ります and お気遣い嬉しく存じます:
From colleagues to colleagues or to customers, there are also the following possibilities : お気遣い痛み入ります and お気遣い嬉しく存じます, but I find them too casual, right? Am I correct?

心から感謝申し上げます:
I could also use, what is used to superiors: 心から感謝申し上げます . But it may sound weird to a customer... Right? :confused:

おかげさまで助かりました:

Apart from saying that Kobayashi-sama is interested, but that he may not wish a teleconference, Kobayashi-sama hasn't given much favour to John-san. Therefore, おかげさまで助かりました cannot be used anyway.

お忙しい中お手数をおかけしますが、何卒宜しくお願い申し上げます:
Or would another very efficient: お忙しい中お手数をおかけしますが、何卒宜しくお願い申し上げます might be used here in this situation? After all, John-san is thanking Kobayashi-sama for a cooperation and invites him to consider a teleconference (although Koboyashi-sama is slightly not inclined), although Kobyashi-sama is very busy / has a lot of work. On the other side, john-san cannot screw it up, i.e. make here a "diplomatic faux-pas" with the wrong kind of thank you, otherwise Kobayashi-sama will not grant him a teleconference and may never reply again. :eek:

Moreover, is there a "Thank You" with a slight undetone of:
"Sorry to force you a bit towards something, although you don't really want it?" :confused: :p Kobayashi-sama is not entirely against a teleconference, just hesitating a bit (too early in the purchasing process, etc.. hence, it is tricky for me to find something nor too reverential / over-the-top in terms of politeness: 諂う (unless a native advise of the contrary :p), neither too nonchalant: 何気ない ~ 投げやり.

Could some natives help me decipher which "Thank you" version(s) would be the best fit in this situation? :)

Thank you so much | どうもありがとうございます m(_ _)m
The USE | ヨーロッパ合衆国

• SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    I don't know the actual context much, but one thing very important in this thread is you should not say "thank you" in Japanese culture, which may seem rather rude as well before you don't make a deal.
    "Thank you in advance" seems very rude to Japanese people.
    "Thank you" should be used only after you make a deal or get some kindness from that person.

お忙しい中お手数をおかけしますが、何卒宜しくお願い申し上げます:
    might be the best.

Apparently, I can make the best choice only after reading the whole actual email written in Japanese.
    However, in the background and context that this is in your Business Japanese Class,
    I think the important thing to say "thank you" is that you should thank something in the past.
    You should not thank something in the future in advance.
    This is the very difference between English culture and Japanese culture.

When you say "thank you" to what you received in the past: ありがとうございます。(orました。)
    When you say "thank you" to what you will receive in the future: どうぞよろしくお願い申し上げます。

Last edited:
    Thank you so much for your quick reply @SoLaTiDoberman . :thank you: :thumbsup: :)

If you haven’t asked the other party to undertake any actions themselves, I know that the following can be used too:
    引き続き、どうぞ宜しくお願い致します . Right? :)

By the way: I wish you a happy Marine Day! | 海の日、おめでとうございます! :)
    Thank you so much | どうもありがとうございます m(_ _)m
    The USE | ヨーロッパ合衆国