Thank you, my dear

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
Thank you, sweetheart.
Thank you, darling.
Thank you, honey.
Thank you, my dear.

Is the last sentence correct? Shouldn't it be followed by an object such as my friend, brother, Anne, etc?

Thank you.

• TheTuninator

English - USA
    Thank you, sweetheart.
    Thank you, darling.
    Thank you, honey.
    Thank you, my dear.

Is the last sentence correct? Shouldn't it be followed by an object such as my friend, brother, Anne, etc?

Thank you.
    The last sentence is correct! "My dear" can be used either as "my dear Anne" or just "my dear", with the person you are calling "dear" implied. To give some context, "My dear friend/brother/Anne" sounds more formal and might be used more in more formal written speech like starting a letter with "My dear Anne,", while "my dear" would be used more in conversation (for example, if a granddaughter brings her grandmother some tea and the grandmother says "thank you, my dear". This can also be shortened to just "thank you, dear".

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    The last sentence is correct! "My dear" can be used either as "my dear Anne" or just "my dear", with the person you are calling "dear" implied. To give some context, "My dear friend/brother/Anne" sounds more formal and might be used more in more formal written speech like starting a letter with "My dear Anne,", while "my dear" would be used more in conversation (for example, if a granddaughter brings her grandmother some tea and the grandmother says "thank you, my dear". This can also be shortened to just "thank you, dear".
    Thank you, dear😄

< Previous | Next >