Thank you very much - muito obrigada or muita obrigada?

fabregas04

USA
Hello, I have a question about how to say "thank you very much" if you are a girl. Would you say "muito obrigada" or "muita obrigada"? Or does it depend on what you are saying thank you for?

Obrigada!

• djlaranja

Brazil / Brazilian Portuguese
    fabregas04,

He would say "muito obrigado" and she would say "muito obrigada". Anybody never says "muita obrigada".

DJL

Denis555

Brazilian Portuguese
    An interesting thing about this word is that it's pronounced nasally but you can't see any sign of it!

Muito /m-um-im-tu/

The letter "m" here represents the nasality of the vowels just like in "um" =one; ''impacto" =impact. The "m" here in Portuguese is NOT pronounced at all!

Originally Posted by Alandria
    Invariable:
    Very= ONLY muito
    Much = ONLY muito
    I thought that "invariable" :" uncountable" ... What did you mean with "invariable" ?, "much" is used with uncountable nouns dont they, like "agua"?

I guess it should be "muita agua: much water" né? but you said "Much = ONLY muito"...

Matthew Barros

English - American, Portuguese - North Eastern Brazil
    what about:

1) Agua, eu bebo muito.

2) Agua, eu bebo muita.

Is one of these incorrect?

What about,

3) O que eu bebia muito era agua.

4) O que eu bebia muita era agua.

Thanks!

Carfer

Portuguese - Portugal
    what about:

1) Água, eu bebo muito :cross:/:tick: actually it depends on what you mean. It's incorrect if you mean 'lots of' but correct if you mean 'often'.

2) Água, eu bebo muita :cross:/:tick:. again it depends on what you mean. It's correct if you mean 'lots of' but incorrect if you mean 'often'

Is one of these incorrect?

What about,

3) O que eu bebia muito era água:tick:. that is, 'quite often'

4) O que eu bebia muita era agua:cross: The sentence is correct if you say "O que eu bebia era muita água" but then the meaning is 'I actually drank lots of water'

Thanks!

Limequilla

English - American
    I was looking online for words to say this and ran into your threads here on Brazilian Portuguese. Muito obrigada; it was just what I was looking for! :) Suzy

gbeltrao

Português Brasil
    @Matthew Barros

If you change the words placement it is also correct to say:

"O que eu bebia era muita água."

Normally a comma is placed while writing to separate concerns:

"O que eu bebia, era muita água."

This is also a good way for expressing a situation:

"O que eu bebia, era muita água!"

Feliz.cc

Chinese
    Why can't I say "O que eu bebia muita, era agua." if I want to express that the liquid that I drank much was water?

Nonstar

Nheengatu/il linguaggio del corpo
    你好!
    O que eu bebia? Água.
    Bebia muita água. Bebia pouca água. Pouca and muita refer to água, therefore feminine.
    Eu bebia muito. eu bebia pouco. Muito and pouco refer to the verb beber. In your example you must say muito because you're referring to the verb.

< Previous | Next >