thank <you>

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
I was always wondering, If at the end of a thread where two or more people have answered my question I just say "thank you" (or "thanks"), would it be clear that it refers to everyone who commented in my thread (not to the last person only)? I mean, is there a need to say "thank you everyone/all/for the answers/etc)? Thanks.

• Juhasz

English - United States
    No, it's often not obvious whether "you" is plural or singular. Makes you yearn for the days of thou. If you want to be very clear that you're not just thanking one person, you have to say, "thank you all" or something like that.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    No, it's often not obvious whether "you" is plural or singular. Makes you yearn for the days of thou. If you want to be very clear that you're not just thanking one person, you have to say, "thank you all" or something like that.
    I.e., saying just "thank you" or "thanks" to two or more people in a thread is something to better avoid doing, since it looks a bit impolite?

Juhasz

English - United States
    I'm not sure I would go as far as that. It would only be impolite if we thought "you" meant singular you. All I meant is that it's not always totally apparent - which means that there is always a chance that someone could read it the wrong way and get offended. Probably, most forum members would assume that the "you" in "thank you" was a plural you. Is it worth worrying about the few people who might misread you and get upset? That's something you have to decide for yourself.

Juhasz

English - United States
    Yes, it is, in situations where you want to emphasize that you're not thanking just one person. It's hard to say how to identify the situations where this would be necessary. I suppose it's more of a social issue, than a language one (you'd have to determine whether someone was going to assume that you were only thanking one person).

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Yes, it is, in situations where you want to emphasize that you're not thanking just one person. It's hard to say how to identify the situations where this would be necessary. I suppose it's more of a social issue, than a language one (you'd have to determine whether someone was going to assume that you were only thanking one person).
    And what would be more idiomatic in thanking to two people -- "both", or "everyone"?

yan_shams

Russian - Belarus
    Useful thread, Vic. :thumbsup:

There's a question I've had for a long time and for some reason haven't asked yet. Is it natural for English speaking forums to say "thank you" several times to different people, or would it be better to wait until you think all who could answer already did it and to thank everybody only one time at the end of a thread?

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Is it natural for English speaking forums to say "thank you" several times to different people, or would it be better to wait until you think all who could answer already did it and to thank everybody only one time at the end of a thread?
    I've seen it done both ways.

Just from a purely personal standpoint, if I see a thread where the OP has thanked someone for their answer I generally don't bother contributing anything myself unless I see that it was only a partial answer or I particularly disagree with it. :)

Last edited:

yan_shams

Russian - Belarus
    What is bothering me (a bit) is that it may look... well, not ridiculous, a little excessive to thank many times. :) As if I'm always doing it (if you see what I mean ;):D). What do you think of that? Is it okay to do so, or is it too much?

heypresto

English - England
    Just from a purely personal standpoint, if I see a thread where the OP has thanked someone for their answer I generally don't bother contributing anything myself unless I see that it was only a partial answer or I particularly disagree with it.
    :thumbsup: Me neither.

Last edited:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    it may look... well, not ridiculous, a little excessive to thank many times.:) As if I'm always doing it (if you see what I mean ;):D).
    On the usingenglish.com forum, e.g., the problem was solved by adding the buttons "like" and "thank", which you click to thank the contributors, without the necessity of bumping the thread up every time to thank:) (moreover, the "thank" posts are deleted).

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Personally, I wait a day or two until I think I've got the answer. This is usually on the French/English forum; as a professional translator I'm often working to a 48-hour deadline or something similar. Then I thank everyone and I consider the matter closed.

If someone replies six months later, I'm glad for all other readers but it doesn't help me. Although I might then respond if the question has some special interest of principle.

yan_shams

Russian - Belarus
    (restraining myself to thank those who already replied...):D

It seems that the option to thank everybody at the end only one time has some practical advantages. :) I didn't think about them before.

I've indeed got this habit to thank people multiple times so as not to be impolite to anyone. Even now I feel very unsure about it. :( Just to get rid of this uncertainty... Do you think it's a "bad habit" which is better to give up? Is it something unnecessary and even odd? What do you think about it?

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I've indeed got this habit to thank people multiple times so as not to be impolite to anyone. Even now I feel very unsure about it. :( Just to get rid of this uncertainty... Do you all think it's a "bad habit" which is better to give up? Is it something unnecessary and even odd? What do you think about it?
    A lot depends in my view on what the original question was.

I have seen threads in which literally every second post was the OP thanking someone for their answer, which seems a bit excessive to me. Possibly a good compromise might be to wait until you get a reply or series of replies which fully answers the question or resolves your doubts, and then thank everyone who had responded up until then.

In a case like this thread, where you're canvassing peoples' opinions on the best way to do something, then it makes more sense to me to post thanks as you go along, which gives you the chance to ask supplementary questions or query anything which you're not sure of.

In short, there's no single "correct" way of thanking people. I do find it helpful personally when people add something like "...that answers my question", then I know that they're satisfied with the answer they got. :)

yan_shams

Russian - Belarus
    Thanks, Donny. It definitely makes sense. :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the answers. It seems the problem has been solved.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    It seems that the option to thank everybody at the end only one time has some practical advantages. :) I didn't think about them before.
    Just in case I was unclear -- in #19 I meant buttons on each single post in the thread, not only at the end.

I have seen threads in which literally every second post was the OP thanking someone for their answer, which seems a bit excessive to me.
    I actually do that often too. You never know if the current last post will be the last post in the thread or not:D Sometimes it happens that the OP question causes some long discussion among native speakers themselves, in which case thanking them, esp under each post would be out of place:D

yan_shams

Russian - Belarus
    You never know if the current last post will be the last post in the thread or not:D Sometimes it happens that the OP question causes some long discussion among native speakers themselves, in which case thanking them, esp under each post would be out of place:D
    So true!:D

< Previous | Next >