Thanks anyway / anyways.

bearded

Suppose I ask someone in the street: ''Wo befindet sich der Augsburger Platz, bitte?''
and the person replies: ''Ich bin leider nicht ortskundig''.
In this case both ''Danke trotzdem'' and in English ''(Well), thanks anyway'' would seem appropriate to me. Elroy, wouldn't this be the right context /scenario?

It all depends on context.

Last edited:
  • Hutschi

I don’t know why you keep harping on this point. As I said repeatedly, I’m not saying the alternative is a bare “Danke.” There are a million things you could add to express your sentiments and strike the right tone.
    I am sure they will misunderstand you in context #1 in many cases in Germany. It may be another thing in English - it may also be it is different in different parts of Germany. I did not know that in English in this situation pure "Danke" is enough. Thank you for this information.
    In German the option is to say a kind of "good bye" or to say "danke" making it clear that this refers to the friendlyness of the other one, not to the fact that he could not really help.

Edit: PS:

Obzwar:
    '.....you cannot attach that kind of document on our forum because it is too large......
    Me : Good Bye"
    This might be received as rude and it says that I do not want to meet the other one again.

(I understand "can" as typo for "cannot" because the sentence does not make any sense else. The proper answer would not be "Thank you" but "What do you mean with this, could you explain please? Was it a typo?")

---

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I would say: "Kein Problem. Danke!" because I would feel that the person felt bad for not being able to help me ("leider").
    Exactly. In English I might say "Oh, okay, no problem. Thank you!".

My comment about context was in relation to my suggestion of "Vielen Dank!". I meant to say that whether or not that would come across as sarcastic would depend on the context, what is said before and/or after, etc.

I can't think of a context in which I would find any merit to adding "anyway/trotzdem."
    Da fände ich ein schlichtes "Danke./ Vielen Dank!" auf jeden Fall unangebracht.
    How many times do I have to say that "Vielen Dank!" was just one possible GENERAL suggestion that may or may not work depending on the specific context/situation. :warning: I was not referring to the specific context in the OP. :warning: My point was that I would never use "Danke trotzdem" in any situation, and I gave some possible alternatives that, again, may or may not work depending on the specific context/situation.
    I did not know that in English in this situation pure "Danke" is enough.
    Nicht zu fassen. :eek:

Seriously, are people even reading my posts?!

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    How many times do I have to say that "Vielen Dank!" was just one possible GENERAL suggestion that may or may not work depending on the specific context/situation
    Na klar.
    Aber wenn das allgemein gültig sein soll (schließlich ist Deine #9 ja auch eine Antwort auf die Titelfrage, oder? - sonst wäre sie ja off topic ......!) ist mein Einwand durchaus berechtigt.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    No, your objection is not valid, because (for the umpteenth time) I never said that "Vielen Dank!" would necessarily be the only thing you would say in response! As I've repeatedly said over and over again in this thread, you can add things before and after depending on how you want to convey the sentiment.

For example, in the OP example:

A: Dieses Document können Sie leider nicht anhängen, weil es zu groß ist.
    B: Ach so, alles klar! Das wusste ich gar nicht. Sie haben mir mit dieser Information sehr geholfen. Vielen Dank!

berndf

German (Germany)
    Davon steht in #9 nichts.
    Das ist genau der Unterschied zwischen allgemein und allgemein gültig und letzteres hat er, wie gesagt, nie benutzt. Er sagte general und das bedeutet allgemein und nicht allgemein gültig. Der Zusatz allgemein weist immer auf mögliche Ausnahmen hin.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    für die es im Einzelfall natürlich Gegenargumente geben könne.
    Davon steht in #9 nichts.
    Nicht explizit, aber ich habe doch mittlerweile wiederholt haargenau beschrieben, was ich gemeint habe. Möchtest Du denn aufgrund neuer Erkenntnisse und dessen, was ich tatsächlich gemeint habe, weitermachen oder immer wieder aufgrund dessen, was Du bei meinem allerersten Beitrag, dem mittlerweile mehr als fünfzig Beiträge gefolgt sind, (miss)verstanden hattest?

Hutschi

I can't think of a context in which I would find any merit to adding "anyway/trotzdem."
    Hi, elroy, maybe if you consider them as false friends in this context, this might help.

I give context, it is not about our conversation:

Ich denke, was Du schreibst, ist falsch.
    Trotzdem vielen Dank.

If I say:

Vielen Dank.

Here it is sarcastic. Es ist ein "vergifteter" Dank.

Vielen Dank auch.
    Das verstärkt den Sarkasmus.

Es spielt dabei keine besondere Rolle, ob der jeweils erste Satz vom anderen gesagt wurde oder mit zur Antwort gehört.

Es ist sicherlich eine unterschiedliche Denkweise unserer Kulturen.

---

Noch ein Dialog zur Verdeutlichung:

A: Ich habe dir das jetzt schon hundertmal gesagt!

Hier kann man nicht neutral mit "Vielen Dank!" antworten.
    "Trotzdem vielen Dank!" würde passen. Auch wenn es sarkastisch ist.

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Ich gehöre auch zu dieser "anderen Kultur" ;)

I give context, it is not about our conversation:

Trotzdem vielen Dank.

Wie ich in meiner #43 schon geschrieben habe, würde ich das genau anders herum formulieren: Erst den Dank. Und dann alle weiteren Überlegungen.

In Deinem Fall also zum Beispiel:

"Vielen Dank für Deine schnelle Antwort!

Ich kann Deine Einschätzung jedoch nicht teilen (, weil ....)."

Wie gesagt: Mir ist es wichtig, den Dank (für die Antwort, für die Mühe) uneingeschränkt zu äußern. Und danach setze ich mich mit dem auseinander, was möglicherweise problematisch ist.

διαφορετικός

Swiss German - Switzerland
    Suppose I ask someone in the street: ''Wo befindet sich der Augsburger Platz, bitte?''
    and the person replies: ''Ich bin leider nicht ortskundig''.
    In this case both ''Danke trotzdem'' and in English ''(Well), thanks anyway'' would seem appropriate to me.
    I agree. "Danke, kein Problem" could be more polite, but it might also sound like a lie. You could also say the single word sentence "Danke", but this displays less respect for the other person's statement.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    "Kein Problem" means "It's no problem that you don't know" (i.e. "Don't worry about it"), not "It's not a problem that I don't know where the Augsburger Platz is."

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Gerade fällt mir eine "Kompromisslösung*" ein: "Danke jedenfalls!"

* kein undertone of disappointment, dissatisfaction, or even criticism, / kann (m.E.) nicht als Sarkasmus aufgefasst werden.

berndf

German (Germany)
    Ich habe gestern erst wieder Danke, trotzdem gehört. Die Wendung ist m.E. tatsächlich üblich. Normalerweise ist durch Kontext, Intonation und Gesichtsgestik klar, wie es gemeint ist. In dem Fall war es freundlich gemeint.

Schlabberlatz

German - Germany
    Gerade fällt mir eine "Kompromisslösung*" ein: "Danke jedenfalls!"
    Siehe oben #2 und #4 ;)
    Verstanden, danke auf jeden Fall.
    Schade, vielen Dank jedenfalls.

"Thanks anyway" wurde auch an anderer Stelle schon besprochen:
    Search results for query: thank anyway
    If someone tried to help and helped a little or not at all I say

1) Thanks anyway! :)
    2) Thanks for trying! :)

Say it with a smile and it's fine. I don't mind when people say it to me. It's all about your tone of voice.
    Scheint also nicht von allen Muttersprachlern so kritisch gesehen zu werden wie von elroy :)

Thank you anyway

Edit:
    Do you think only "Thank you" is always better?
    Always better? Not necessarily. If the person has obviously not been able to help, despite his best efforts, then "thanks anyway" or "thanks for trying" is probably better because it's the conventional, expected response. Saying just "thank you" may elicit the reply "for what?"

elroy

Imperfect mod
    Scheint also nicht von allen Muttersprachlern so kritisch gesehen zu werden wie von elroy :)
    Ja, natürlich nicht. Es wird genauso wie der deutsche Ausdruck sehr oft verwendet. Meine Ablehnung hat ja wie gesagt nicht mit Englisch oder Deutsch zu tun, sondern mit dem Ausdruck an sich, abgesehen von der Sprache.