Thanks beforehand?

andychen

Chinese, Taiwan
Hi, everyone,

I usually hear people say “Thanks in advance”
Can we say” Thanks beforehand”? If we can, which expression is better?

Thanks

• la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Hi andy,

I'd only use Thanks in advance. Although Thanks beforehand means the same thing in a literal sense, it sounds strange.:eek:

emma42 said:
    I've never heard it in BE. Are you writing or speaking, by the way?
    Probably writing. I use that expression ("Thanks in advance") when I write to someone, for instance a teacher, for help or the answer to a question.

Ex.
    Was the homework due on Tuesday or Wednesday? Thank you in advance for your help.

la grive solitaire said:
    Although Thanks beforehand means the same thing in a literal sense, it sounds strange.
    I agree

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thanks beforehand sounds really strange to me.

But of course Thanks in advance sounds strange to me as well.
    I don't think I had come across this expression until I arrived in WR.
    At first I thought is was simply a time-saver. Ask a question including thanks in advance and you don't have to bother thanking anyone for what they do.

Then I realised it is used extensively and quite sincerely - and that thanks afterwards are common as well:)

Cracker Jack

panjandrum said:
    Thanks beforehand sounds really strange to me.

But of course Thanks in advance sounds strange to me as well.
    I don't think I had come across this expression until I arrived in WR.
    At first I thought is was simply a time-saver. Ask a question including thanks in advance and you don't have to bother thanking anyone for what they do.

Then I realised it is used extensively and quite sincerely - and that thanks afterwards are common as well:)
    Panj, in BE, how would you usually express an anticipatory thanksgiving?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    Cracker Jack said:
    Panj, in BE, how would you usually express an anticipatory thanksgiving?
    That's a good question:)
    I need to do a little more investigation to check this, but my initial thought (since I posted my last post) is that we don't.

We certainly ask politely with please.
    We might use some phrase about appreciating a prompt response or being grateful for ....
    We might say Thank you for your attention ....(very formal)
    But I don't recall ever expressing an anticipatory thanksgiving (that is a lovely phrase).

I'll wander off to look at some letters - meantime, it would be interesting to discover if this is actually a BE feature, an IE feature or a PE (Panj English) feature. Being honest, it could be any of those.

Kevmeister

English, US
    Hello...If we say "thanks beforehand," isn't it somewhat redundant? If we just write "thanks" after asking someone a question or for help, we are obviously thanking that person in advance.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Can one really offer an anticipatory thanksgiving?
    Doesn't it devalue the thanks if it is given before the service is performed?

I'm not saying that I seek thanks , nor that I like it to be overly profuse, but I do think it ought to match the perceived(?) level of effort involved.

A90Six

England - English.
    emma42 said:
    Yes, it's common, but I always find that a bit wordy (and a little bit sexual, for some reason...!)
    :D I hadn't thought of it in that way!
    Yes, it is wordy and rather formal, but I just thought it was a standard when writing, much the same as yours sincerely, yours faithfully, etc. No one would say any of them when speaking to someone, would they?

emma42

British English
    I am sure it is standard. I am just trying to think of what I write formally...

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in anticipation of your help/thank you in advance for your help.

Yes, so I would use it!

river

U.S. English
    maxiogee said:
    Can one really offer an anticipatory thanksgiving?
    Doesn't it devalue the thanks if it is given before the service is performed?

I'm not saying that I seek thanks , nor that I like it to be overly profuse, but I do think it ought to match the perceived(?) level of effort involved.
    The standard phrase "Thank you in advance" is a polite way of encouraging readers to do what you are asking them to do. "Thank you for your prompt reply" is a nice way of saying "Get off your butt and do it."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    Further conversation on the subject of

Thank you in advance.

is happening in the Cultural Discussions forum.
    You are welcome to comment there on whether Thanks in advance is courtesy, persuasive, or presumptuous.

Comments on the possible use of Thanks beforehand, as an alternative, would still be appropriate here.

yackityack

English, USA
    Here in California (and I think all of the US..) we'd say "thanks in advance". "Thanks beforehand" sounds kinda weird and we would never say "thanking you in anticipation" or something like that.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    yackityack said:
    Here in California (and I think all of the US..) we'd say "thanks in advance". "Thanks beforehand" sounds kinda weird and we would never say "thanking you in anticipation" or something like that.
    That's the nub of the matter - do you actually "say" it to anyone?
    When ordering a meal in a restaurant, would you say "Thanks in advance" to the waiting stafff? Would you say it when you leave your car in for a service?

I think it is purely net-speak.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    panjandrum said:

Please note that this thread is about
    Thanks beforehand.
    It is NOT about the use of Thanks in advance.
    [/I]

In a way, it is!

andychen said:
    I usually hear people say “Thanks in advance
    Can we say “Thanks beforehand”? If we can, which expression is better?
    I would argue that you shouldn't say either of them, but if you must, then Thanks in advance is the lesser of two evils.

B U T
    Do you actually "hear" people say it? I never have.

A90Six

England - English.
    maxiogee said:
    That's the nub of the matter - do you actually "say" it to anyone?
    When ordering a meal in a restaurant, would you say "Thanks in advance" to the waiting stafff? Would you say it when you leave your car in for a service?

I think it is purely net-speak.
    As I said above,
    Yes, it is wordy and rather formal, but I just thought it was a standard when writing, much the same as yours sincerely, yours faithfully, etc. No one would say any of them when speaking to someone, would they?
    I think it is only used in written English - on paper, the net, or otherwise - when a direct response is not possible.

Cracker Jack

panjandrum said:
    I'll wander off to look at some letters - meantime, it would be interesting to discover if this is actually a BE feature, an IE feature or a PE (Panj English) feature. Being honest, it could be any of those.
    Hmmm. I never thought that there existed such a thing as a PE. :) Anyway, it just dawned on me that I still haven't heard from Brits the phrase ''Thanks in advance.'' I know some of them and usually, according to what Panj mentioned, they would plead or just beg or ask nicely and say thank you when the goods are delivered. Interesting enough.

< Previous | Next >