Thanks I'm set.

scorpio1984

Catalan and Spanish (from Spain)
Hello,I was watching a Friends' episode and a guy asked Monica if she wished him to get her some posters and she said "Thanks, I'm set". What does it mean? I have got it as "No gracias, estoy servida", but I'm not sure if it means that. Thank youPlease, could you correct my English mistakes? I'm studying a degree on it, thanks.

• kayokid

English, USA
    Hello. Thanks, I'm set = Thanks, I've got everything I need. Monica could have also said something like: Thanks, I'm good/I'm okay/I'm in good shape, etc. all of which are colloquial/slang and understood to mean that the person has everything he needs and that everything is under control and no assistance is required.

Just a note: "I'm studying a degree on it" sounds awkward to me, personally. I think the easiest way out of this is to say something like: My degree is in English. Could you correct my mistakes, please?

Hope this helps.

scorpio1984

Catalan and Spanish (from Spain)
    Hello. Thanks, I'm set = Thanks, I've got everything I need. Monica could have also said something like: Thanks, I'm good/I'm okay/I'm in good shape, etc. all of which are colloquial/slang and understood to mean that the person has everything he needs and that everything is under control and no assistance is required.

Just a note: "I'm studying a degree on it" sounds awkward to me, personally. I think the easiest way out of this is to say something like: My degree is in English. Could you correct my mistakes, please?

Hope this helps.

but I also study other languages in my degree. Could I use "my degree is in English" anyway?

kayokid

English, USA
    I think you could say:

"My degree is in English (or: my area of specialization is English) and I also study French, German, etc./other languages." or something of that nature.

Un saludo.