that he <had><has> gotten his hair cut short

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Context:

John used to have long hair. When Bob saw John yesterday, he had short hair. Today, Bob says the sentence below to Bill.

Sample sentence:

Did you see John yesterday? If you did, then you'll no doubt have noticed that he <had><has> gotten his hair cut short.

Question:

"Has" is correct because what Bob is saying has a present consequence: now John has short hair.

"Had" is correct because there's a time marker "yesterday" (the implication is that John had gotten his hair cut short by then).

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    You will have noticed that he got his hair cut short.
    (Simple Preterite)
    You will have noticed that he had gotten it cut short before he went to the movies.
    (Past action for him before doing something else)
    You will have noticed that he has gotten another haircut this week.
    (Continues to the present) (Simple Preterite also works here)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    For me, it depends on whether you use the word "yesterday" in the sentence or not.

The versions I'd use are:
    If you did, then you'll no doubt have noticed that he has had his hair cut short. (We don't use "gotten" in BE ;))
    If you did, then you'll no doubt have noticed that he had (or got) his hair cut short yesterday. (The simple past for a completed event in the past)
    If you did, then you'll no doubt have noticed yesterday that he had had (or had got) his hair cut short.
    (The cutting took place prior to yesterday, so you use the pluperfect).

Boris Tatarenko

I'm curious if it'd be possible to replace "will no doubt have noticed" with:

1. must have noticed
    2. are supposed to have noticed
    3. would have noticed
    4. would notice

I might start a new thread for this question, though.

< Previous | Next >