that he supposed he had chosen words (Fallout by Sadie Jones)

< Previous | Next >

Nuzzi

Spanish (Spain)
Hello, I am reading a novel (Fallout by Sadie Jones) and in page 74 find a sentence (in bold) I don't understand (I quote for the context):

<<...>>
There were at least ten of them, dark blue cloth-covered notebooks. The doodling on the outside was a pattern of geometric and snakelike shapes.
'You draw, too? said Paul.
'Not that much just now,' said Luke, thinking of the crucifix, that he supposed he had chosen words and wondering what that meant.

The "crucifix" might refer to one he "built in the middle of his bedroom out of broken glass from the bottles his father threw away".

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Biffo

English - England
    I think there must be a mistake. Did you cut and paste this text or did you type it?

"that he supposed he had chosen words" doesn't make any sense.

Nuzzi

Spanish (Spain)
    There is no mistake at all. I did type, but literally! It doesn't make any sense to me either... That's why I am asking to you, English-speaking fellows... But I suppose it must have a sense!

Biffo

English - England
    I suspect that it is an error that escaped the editing process when the book was published. (This does happen sometimes you know!)

Not only is the sentence incomprehensible, it's also ungrammatical.

Nuzzi

Spanish (Spain)
    Yeah, that sounds possible, even probable... I will try to ask... the author herself!
    Thanks, Biffo

< Previous | Next >