that I <had?> thought [correction]

< Previous | Next >

agerassot

Arabic
This is my correction, no sure!!

- Fatal Attraction was a film that had affected the way that I thought about marriage. (wrong)
- Fatal Attraction was a film that has affected the way that I had thought about marriage. (my correction)

What do you think?

• dn88

Polish
    This is my correction, no sure!!

- Fatal Attraction was a film that had affected the way that I thought about marriage. (wrong)
    - Fatal Attraction was a film that has affected the way that I had thought about marriage. (my correction)

What do you think?
    Let's change the original sentence to present tense:

Fatal Attraction is a film that has affected the way that I think about marriage.

It makes sense to you like that, doesn't it? Then if you "go one tense back" with each verb, you'll get the exact same sentence that you thought was wrong.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Please explain what your assignment is, agerassot. Have you been told that the mistake is in the verb?

Like the others, I think the tenses in the original sentence would be correct in some contexts. We generally use the past perfect (had affected) with the past tense (was / thought) If you are talking about a situation in the past, you might say:

Fatal Attraction was a film that had affected the way that I thought about marriage. As a consequence, I didn't expect marriage to be as pleasant as it turned out to be.

Your change doesn't really work because we expect the present tense with the present perfect (has affected). I believe that is what PaulQ means when he says that it should be the same tense throughout.

Fatal Attraction is a film that has affected the way that I think about marriage.

Could the mistake be somewhere else? Or is it possible that there is no mistake?

< Previous | Next >