that I have obtained though this certification/certificate ...

< Previous | Next >

be.010

Arabic (Syrian)
Hello :)

Just need to know which is more correct/natural for the following statement? certificate, or certification? Or, what is the difference in meaning if both could fit in place?
"... It is my pleasure to offer the knowledge and experience that I have obtained though this certification/certificate for the best of our company."

The context is: an e-mail from an employee to his manager announcing that he has finished all the exams required for a professional certification:

IMHO it should be "certification," since knowledge and experience are not acquired by the certificate itself, but by the process of getting it which sounds (to me?) closer to "certification." Is that correct?

Any response, especially from a native English speaker, is really appreciated,

Best regards,
Nabil

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Just need to know which is more correct/natural for the following statement? certificate, or certification? Or, what is the difference in meaning if both could fit in place?

"... It is my pleasure to offer the knowledge and experience that I have obtained though this certification/certificate for the best of our company."

The context is: an e-mail from an employee to his manager announcing that he has finished all the exams required for a professional certification:

IMHO it should be "certification," since knowledge and experience are not acquired by the certificate itself, but by the process of getting it which sounds (to me?) closer to "certification." Is that correct?

Any response, especially from a native English speaker, is really appreciated.
    You are completely right (and thank you for including the informative context). You have thought this out extremely well! :)

Elwintee

England English
    You are completely right (and thank you for including the informative context). You have thought this out extremely well! :)
    I don't fully agree. 'Certification' is the process of issuing a certificate. What the learner has gained is derived not from either a certificate or the process of certification, but from the learning experience itself. So I would say "...the knowledge and experience that I have obtained though studying for this certificate.
    If I may offer extra advice off-topic: I would say "the benefit of the company". The best of the company could be understood to mean the best people employed in the company, rather than advantages [= benefits] for the company as a whole.

be.010

Arabic (Syrian)
    Many thanks, Parla. Much appreciated!

I don't fully agree. 'Certification' is the process of issuing a certificate. What the learner has gained is derived not from either a certificate or the process of certification, but from the learning experience itself. So I would say "...the knowledge and experience that I have obtained though studying for this certificate.
    If I may offer extra advice off-topic: I would say "the benefit of the company". The best of the company could be understood to mean the best people employed in the company, rather than advantages [= benefits] for the company as a whole.
    Thanks a lot for your response. Sounds like an American-vs.-British difference? Actually, I have used the word "certification" as it is referred to on the official website of the institute that gives it, which is American. And it sounds like they use this word to indicate the whole process of getting the certificate, including exams, work experience, seminars...etc. I hope I've got right(?!!)

For best and benefit, again, is that an Amercian vs. British thing? (MODS: Hope I haven't got so far off-topic by asking this! Thanks anyway:))

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I can't find any suggestion in dictionaries that certification may be used to refer to the training and acquisition of knowledge that leads to the award of a certificate (I looked at Merriam-Webster and dictionary.com - both of which give AE definitions).

The question of best/benefit is on its way to a new thread :)

< Previous | Next >