that I would resent it

< Previous | Next >

enkidu68

turkish
Hi folks, this is coming from Colonel Jack by Daniel Defoe.
The problem I have here is about long sentences. It is not easy to separate where those start and end.
So, I wonder that if this bold one means "If I was not a big coward, I would get angry with this job?" I am asking this because
I am not sure whether or not Colonel Jack told that the sentences with start respectiveley "that he knew the villainy " and "he could belive"

I had not many words with him, but told him I had long looked for him; that he knew the villainy he had been guilty of in my family, and he
could not believe, since he knew also that I was fully informed of it, but that I must be a great coward, as well as a cuckold, or that I would resent it, and that it was now a very proper time to call him to an account for it; and therefore bade him, if he durst show his face to what he had done, and defend the name of a captain of a man-of-war,as they said he had been, to draw

• lentulax

UK English
    I had not many words with him, but told him I had long looked for him; that he knew the villainy he had been guilty of in my family, and he could not believe, since he knew also that I was fully informed of it, but that I must be a great coward, as well as a cuckold, or that I would resent it, and that it was now a very proper time to call him to an account for it; and therefore bade him, if he durst show his face to what he had done, and defend the name of a captain of a man-of-war,as they said he had been, to draw
    Firstly, 'he could not believe...but that'= 'he could not believe anything else except that'='he must believe that'. Secondly, 'that I would resent it' is a noun clause , object of 'believe' ,and providing the alternative to 'I must be a great coward' . So, the structure is :-

I told him (i) that I had long looked for him; (ii) that he knew the villainy he had been guilty of in my family, and (iii) [that] he could not believe [since he knew also that I was fully informed of it] but [either] (1) that I must be a great coward, as well as a cuckold, or (2)that I would resent it, and (iv) that it was now a very proper time to call him to account for it ...'

So, 'I told him (i) and (ii) and (iii) and (iv)' . And within (iii), 'I told him (iii) that he must believe (1) or (2)'

I hope this is clear!

Last edited:

enkidu68

turkish
    "he could not believe [since he knew also that he was fully informed of it]"
    I think not he, it was "I" to the original text.

Other than this, it is very useful. Thank you so much.

< Previous | Next >