that in case I married Miss Ingram, both you and little Adele had better trot forthwith

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "that in case I married Miss Ingram, both you and little Adele had better trot forthwith" mean "that if I married Miss Ingram, both you and little Adele would have at once better work to do"?

Thanks in advance
That was only a lady-clock, child, "flying away home." I wish to remind you that it was you who first said to me, with that discretion I respect in you- with that foresight, prudence, and humility which befit your responsible and dependent position- that in case I married Miss Ingram, both you and little Adele had better trot forthwith. I pass over the sort of slur conveyed in this suggestion on the character of my beloved; indeed, when you are far away, Janet,

Jane Eyre» Chapter 23
Source

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I wish to remind you that it was you who first said to me, [...] that in case I married Miss Ingram, both you and little Adele had better trot forthwith. =
    I wish to remind you that it was you who first said to me, [...] that if I married Miss Ingram, both you and little Adele had better leave quickly/immediately.

To trot -> of an animal - to run at a moderate pace with quick steps. Here used figuratively.

Barque

Tamil
    He's saying that Jane had said that if he married Miss Ingram, she (Jane) and Adele would have to leave the house immediately.

Cross-posted.

< Previous | Next >