'that' in "that is why" that it needs

< Previous | Next >

taraa

Persian
I wrote the sentence below in my previous thread. Does the bolded 'that' refer to the orange 'that' or "that is why"?
What is the grammar function of 'that' in "that is why" that it needs to start a new sentence unlike 'which is why' that is part of the sentence just needs a comma?

• heypresto

English - England
    The sentence (given with no context) is very unnatural and has several errors. The word you are asking about shouldn't be there at all, so it seems pointless to analyse it.

If you wrote the sentence, you should know what you intended it to refer to.

taraa

Persian
    The sentence (given with no context) is very unnatural and has several errors. The word you are asking about shouldn't be there at all, so it seems pointless to analyse it.

If you wrote the sentence, you should know what you intended it to refer to.
    I know what it refers to, I wanted to know grammatically

taraa

Persian
    It's difficult to say, but here's my two penn'orth. It seems to me that the clause introduced by the black that is a clause of result and not a relative clause. So the that refers to the whole of the grammatical function of 'that' in 'that is why'. It's the grammatical function which gives rise to the result.
    Cross-posted.
    Many thanks. Can that be a relative pronoun, please?
    But you asked what it refers to.
    grammatically I meant.

rhitagawr

British English
    That can be a relative pronoun, although for the reason I've given above I don't think it is one in the OP sentence. (Others may disagree with me.)
    But I take Heypresto's point, Taraa. If you know what the that refers to, then why are you asking? Perhaps you could tell us what you think it refers to and why. Then we can give our opinion(s).
    (As for errors, I'd prefer sentence, unlike 'which is why', and which is part. It should be sentence and just.)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I know what it refers to, I wanted to know grammatically
    The problem is that the sentence is basically incorrect, especially in the way the bold "that" is being used.
    That is why your question cannot really be answered. But let me try anyway.

It is the "it" in "that it needs to start" that refers to the orange expression, while the bold "that" is probably a conjunction. If it is a pronoun, it refers to whatever it is (you call it "function", I'd prefer "property") that requires the orange expression to start a sentence, i.e. whatever it is that requires the orange "that" to be a subject pronoun and not a relative pronoun, unlike "which", which is a relative pronoun when not interrogative.
    for the reason I've given above
    Above? Do you mean in your deleted post? :)

taraa

Persian
    That can be a relative pronoun, although for the reason I've given above I don't think it is one in the OP sentence. (Others may disagree with me.)
    But I take Heypresto's point, Taraa. If you know what the that refers to, then why are you asking? Perhaps you could tell us what you think it refers to and why. Then we can give our opinion(s).
    (As for errors, I'd prefer sentence, unlike 'which is why', and which is part. It should be sentence and just.)
    Many thanks. I meant it refers to the orange 'that'.
    The problem is that the sentence is basically incorrect, especially in the way the bold "that" is being used.
    That is why your question cannot really be answered. But let me try anyway.

It is the "it" in "that it needs to start" that refers to the orange expression, while the bold "that" is probably a conjunction. If it is a pronoun, it refers to whatever it is (you call it "function", I'd prefer "property") that requires the orange expression to start a sentence, i.e. whatever it is that requires the orange "that" to be a subject pronoun and not a relative pronoun, unlike "which", which is a relative pronoun when not interrogative.

Above? Do you mean in your deleted post? :)
    You understand my sentence very well. :):)
    Interesting. Many thanks.:)

rhitagawr

British English
    I thought I'd re-instated my deleted post, but here it is again.
    It's difficult to say, but here's my two penn'orth. It seems to me that the clause introduced by the black that is a clause of result and not a relative clause. So the that refers to the whole of the grammatical function of 'that' in 'that is why'. It's the grammatical function which gives rise to the result.
    Cross-posted.
    I agree that it's not a great sentence, although I can imagine a native speaker saying it.

taraa

Persian
    I thought I'd re-instated my deleted post, but here it is again.
    Cross-posted.
    I agree that it's not a great sentence, although I can imagine a native speaker saying it.
    Many thanks. :)

koper2

Polish
    I wrote the sentence below in my previous thread. Does the bolded 'that' refer to the orange 'that' or "that is why"?
    What is the grammar function of 'that' in "that is why" that it needs to start a new sentence unlike 'which is why' that is part of the sentence just needs a comma?
    I see the "that" in black as a redundant one. I understand the pronoun That as a subject, is as a linking verb, why it needs (something) as a complement and a subordinate interrogative clause in, for example, That is why it needs a repair.
    -------------
    Note that the subject That anaphorically refers to the previously given (in the context) answer to the question Why does it need a repair?.

taraa

Persian
    I see the "that" in black as a redundant one. I understand the pronoun That as a subject, is as a linking verb, why it needs (something) as a complement and a subordinate interrogative clause in, for example, That is why it needs a repair.
    -------------
    Note that the subject That anaphorically refers to the previously given (in the context) answer to the question Why does it need a repair?.
    Many thanks.

< Previous | Next >