That is enough

6aalib

English (US)
I want to use the word كِفايَة = enough, sufficient amount. For example: I am in restaurant, and someone is putting sugar in my tea cup, and I want to say "that's enough"

I know there are many ways to say it (eg. khallas, bas, and there are some other phrases with كِفايَة given in Wehr), but I want to know if this simple sentence would work:
هذا كفاية

I think it is هذا because that refers to sugar, which is masculine. But I could be wrong, and it feels strange to me to use هذا followed by a feminine word.

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    You can use هذا يكفي , whether you're referring to a masculine or a masculine. I think it would refer to هذا القَدْر (this amount).

6aalib

English (US)
    You can use هذا يكفي , whether you're referring to a masculine or a masculine. I think it would refer to هذا القَدْر (this amount).
    You can use هذا كافٍ in the meaning of هذا القدْرُ كافٍ and هذه كافيةٌ in the meaning of هذه الكميةُ كافيةٌ
    Ok so those are 3 ways to say it :
    هذا يكفي

هذا كافٍ
    هذه كافيةٌ

شكرا لكم

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    But there is a reference to the subject in يكفيني (singular masculine "he"). For the singular female, it's تكفيني . There's no escaping the subject when there's a verb. :D

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    But there is a reference to the subject in يكفيني (singular masculine "he"). For the singular female, it's تكفيني . There's no escaping the subject when there's a verb. :D
    I know the "ni" refers to the subject ;), I meant that to avoid to say "hadha", you can add "ni" at "yikfi", I just wanted to give another form. Atmanna kalami wadh7a :D

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Actually, ni refers to the object (ana). It's the yaa2 at the beginning that shows the gender of the subject, and the subject is ضمير مستتر . Avoiding هذا/هذه won't change much.
    أتمنى أن يكون كلامي أنا واضحًا :D

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Actually, ni refers to the object (ana). It's the yaa2 at the beginning that shows the gender of the subject, and the subject is ضمير مستتر . Avoiding هذا/هذه won't change much.
    أتمنى أن يكون كلامي أنا واضحًا :D
    Ohhhhh la honte!!!! C'est vrai en plus!!! Comment j'ai pu faire une erreur aussi bête ahahahahah!!! "yikfik" pour "anta".

ahahahha, oui, avec ton exemple, je comprends mieux maintenant mon erreur ("kalami ana wadh7an" :D).

tounsi51

French, Tunisian Arabic
    Can we also use " يُجزي" it is the same meaning I think. Or we have to use + noun

(In Tunisian Arabic it became يزَي)

Aliph

Italian (North)
    Sorry, I dig up an old thread again. I wasn’t studying Arabic in 2011. So I always wondered what Kifaya meant when I read the news about what was happening in Egypt at that time during the Arab spring. I am not discussing politics. Why was this word chosen instead of كافٍ or يكفي to name a political movement?
    Is كفاية the Masdar or verbal noun of the verb كفى to be enough, to suffice? Hans Wehr says that كفاية means also capability, competence, efficiency. So I am puzzled about the choice of this name for a political movement. Was there a double meaning like « enough with the actual gouvernement we are the competent ones » or am I totally wrong?

Aliph

Italian (North)
    In Egyptian Arabic, كفاية! = “Enough!”
    Does it mean that the meanings in Egyptian dialect and in Fus’ha aren’t 100% identical? According to Wehr’s dictionary it means enough but also competence and capability.

< Previous | Next >